𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐓𝐖𝐎 𑁍 3

The day started off with cleaning stairs.

Most days started with just cleaning stairs.

And ended with it.

But not this one.

Rose and Harriet, sitting opposite each other, noticed Nurse Winterson collecting the post.

And pocketing a letter.

So that when Matron came round to collect it, she didn't get it all.

Rose hadn't forgotten about the letter she had sent to Jake.

And she had a strange suspicion that it's answer now lay in the pocket of a nurse's uniform.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

"They've found fleas in the junior dormitory! They're doing a spot check on all the dorms!"

Rose hadn't expected Elizabeth to come charging in with this news, but she did know that if what she said was true, then she needed to act.

And so did everyone else.

Naturally, as foundlings, no one was allowed any personal stuff. But that didn't mean that the girls didn't have any.

Rose had her letters from Jake, her journals and her mother's token. The penny with the heart shaped hole.

She had more than most to hide.

But that also meant more to lose.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

Working quickly, Rose discretely managed to removed a section of loose skirting board in the dorm and stash her things in there, getting them in just before the juniors, who were to be sharing their dorm until the fleas were sorted out, walked in.

"Come along, juniors! Collect new sheets from the linen cupboard and then go straight to your bed!" Nurse Winterson, who was leading them, called.

"Rose! Rose!"

"Eliza?!" Rose had forgotten that her borrowed sister was part of the junior girls. She quickly embraced her. "What are you-?!"

"Our dorm is all full of fleas, so we're staying with you," said Eliza. "What are you hiding-?"

"Sshhh!" Both Rose and Harriet hissed, before Rose said in a quiet voice. "I'll tell you later, but you have to keep it a secret, alright?"

She stood up, along with her friend, and maneuvered her way around the beds.

"Cross my heart and hope to die," nodded Eliza.

Rose sat her down on her bed as she asked. "Who sleeps next to you?"

"No one... now," Rose flinched at the memories of Polly.

"Clara!" Eliza had now lunged at the girl who was sitting on Polly's old bed. "Get off! This is my bed!"

She took the girl by her arm and roughly pulled her up. "I'm sleeping next to my sister!"

"Eliza!" Rose shouted, turning to Clara. "Are you okay?"

Clara just turned away, not answering her.