𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𑁍 3

Rose had been trying and trying and trying all week to see Ned, but she hadn't seen him since Sunday service. Days ticked by, but Rose still couldn't get to him.

"Ned needs to know that I haven't forgotten about him," she said in the dorm one night. "And I never will. I have to see him. And it has to be tomorrow."

"Rose... tomorrow's just the same as any other day," sighed Harriet.

"It's not. Tomorrow's mine and Ned's borrowed birthday, the anniversary of the day we arrived at Anne's," explained Rose. "Every year Jake would make a cake, so I need your help."

"With what?" Polly frowned.

"I wanna see Ned, and celebrate like we used to," Rose said.

"We're foundlings, Rose. We can't have birthday parties," said Hetty.

"We can if no one finds out," smirked Rose.

"Guess your fortune, Rose," Sheila said, coming over and bringing with her a fortune teller doll. "Or do you know it already? Horrid. Troublemaker. One day Matron'll find out who you really are."

"Least she's found out who you are," Rose smirked, standing up and bringing with her a hairbrush. "Your turn for the hairbrush, Sheila. Oh, of course not! You've got no hair to brush."

Sheila's hair was wonkily cut and looked like how all the others' did when they were five and admitted to the hospital.

Sheila rolled her eyes and stalked off, Elizabeth and Monica following.

"Right," Rose said as she turned on her heel. "We need a place to escape. Just us, Ned, and the boys."

"But Matron's new rule - she'd have everyone punished," said Polly sadly.

"We are not escaping," said Harriet firmly.

"Escape doesn't necessarily mean getting out of here," shrugged Rose. "Just as long as I get to see Ned, without fear of being caught."

She turned her attention to the window then, standing up to get a better view.

And then... she found it.

A slightly larger turret, located in between the boys' and girls' wings.

"What we need is a den," she smiled, as all the other girls crawled over to see what she was seeing. "Our own secret tower."

"It's perfect," smiled Polly.

"How do we even get up there?" Harriet asked.

Rose shrugged. "I don't know. But I'm going to find out."

𑁍𑁍𑁍

The next day, when they were supposed to be scrubbing the corridors, Mary kept watch outside the cupboard with the vent in it as Polly, Hetty, Harriet and Rose all chambered up into the rafters.

"We'll be as quick as we can, Mary, I promise," Rose told her friend once they were all up.

Mary nodded back at her, and off they went.

"It's scary!"

"Wait for me!"

"Rose," Polly tapped her shoulder. "It's like an adventure!"

Rose smiled. "It is an adventure."

They continued to crawl through the rafters, climbing over beams and holding their candles aloft.