𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐓𝐖𝐎 𑁍 2

Halloween was a time that was not really celebrated at the foundling hospital, but still, the group tried to keep up to date with it.

Which was why, now, Rose was under a sheet with two rough eyes cut on it, almost all the candles were out, and she was narrating. "Then at once... the hospital ghost appears."

"Wooooooo..." Hetty and Polly grinned.

"Joseph Twig, the ghostly foundling boy!" Harriet smirked.

"BOO!" Rose screamed, throwing off the sheet and letting the girls gasp before all four collapsed into giggles.

The boys, too, were there, all five of them, and they all joined in as well, laughing loudly.

Rose smiled warmly as she handed the sheet back to Will, who had lent her it, and sat down, grinning.

Then the thunder resounded from the rooftop and she wondered if she should be so happy.

𑁍𑁍𑁍

The next night in the dorm, more thunder came, and as Rose brushed Polly's hair, Harriet exclaimed. "When will it stop?"

"When it passes over," sighed Hetty.

"That could be all night!"

"I know," Rose said. "I'll tell you a story."

"Urgh! A soppy story all about your stupid squirrel tree!" Sheila complained from across the room.

Rose, of course, wasn't letting this stand, and marched straight up to Sheila. "How about I tell you a scary story?"

"Like you could scare me," Sheila retorted.

"You scare me every day," Rose scoffed. "Or should I say, your face does."

Sheila practically screamed as Harriet, Polly and Hetty laughed.

"Okay, come on then, try and scare us," Monica and Elizabeth were at Sheila's side, and the latter spoke then.

Rose took her candle, and stood up in the middle of the dorm, facing the she-mob.

"It's was a dark and stormy night, when the lady of the house heard footsteps..." she started, right up in Sheila's face. "She opened the scullery door... and she saw her... the ghost of Flora. The lonely kitchen maid."

"It was her footsteps," Elizabeth breathed.

"Ghoulish," Rose nodded. "Walking in the night, just like we hear in the tower."

"You hear... footsteps... in the tower?" Monica shivered.

"And tapping at the walls," said Polly.

"And shadows on the floor," added Harriet.

"You mean your stupid tower's haunted?" Sheila asked hesitantly.

"By the ghostly foundling boy," Rose said menacingly.

"Everyone knows about Joseph Twig," Polly said, as she, Harriet and Hetty got up off their beds.

"That's probably where he died," Hetty nodded.

"And you know what they say?" Rose finished. "When he's close... you feel a cool breeze... and his bony fingers touching your hair..."