Chapter 35

A.N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Neo's POV

"Not too much oil, Neo," Aungpao cautioned me as I lifted the bottle of cooking oil, ready to pour some of it into the frying pan. "We're not deep frying the beef. We're just pan frying it."

"Okay, okay," I said as I carefully poured a small amount of cooking oil into the already heated casserole pan.

When Aungpao had determined the cooking oil was hot enough, he told me to place the beef pieces that he had coated with cornstarch into the pan.

"Careful not to let the hot oil splash on you," Aungpao cautioned me again.

While I was frying the beef, Aungpao was putting all the ingredients to make the massaman curry paste into a food processor. He had given me a list of all the ingredients, but he said that if I was in a hurry, there was always a jar of the massaman curry paste ready to use in the supermarket.

Finally after almost an hour, the dish was ready to pour into a large bowl.

"You have outdone yourself this time, son," Mr. Suwanacheep praised Aungpao after the delicious dinner.

"Neo helped me to cook it," Aungpao wanted to give me credit for the dish.

"Oh, I didn't know that," Mr. Suwanacheep said. "Congratulations, Neo, and thank you for helping make this delicious dinner."

"I was just following Aungpao's cooking instructions," I replied. "I really would encourage Aungpao to take up Culinary Arts in college. He just might end up being the country's top chef for a five star hotel."

Mr. Suwanacheep nodded thoughtfully.

"We made a lot of beef massaman curry," Aungpao said to me. "You can bring home some of it and warm it for a later meal."

"You sure?" I asked.

"Of course," he replied. "After all you paid for the beef and all the ingredients."

"Alright, then," I said, thinking of saving the dish to show off to Mark.

Aungpao took a clean square disposable aluminum baking pan and poured the remaining beef massaman curry into it and covered it carefully with some aluminum foil.

I thanked Mr. and Mrs. Suwanacheep and saved a big tight hug of gratitude for Aungpao.

Instead of going inside my house I climbed into my car, carefully set the aluminum baking pan on the back seat and made my way to Mark's house.

Oh no, the house looked dark inside, like everyone had retired for the night.

I looked at my wrist watch. It was just a few minutes past nine. Wasn't it too early to be sleeping at this time?

I debated on whether to press the front door buzzer or not.

I decided to take my chances.

With the beef massaman curry carefully balanced on one hand, I used my other hand to press lightly on the front door buzzer and then crossed my fingers and waited.

Mark opened the door. His eyes were all red, his cheeks tear stricken.

"I learned to cook your favorite dish," I said, extending the covered aluminum baking pan that contained the beef massaman curry.

Mark took it and with a grim expression tore away the aluminum foil cover and then splashed the dish all over my face.

"What is this all about?" I demanded, too shocked to feel any kind of anger towards him.

"Save that dish for your new boyfriend," he replied before slamming the door on my face.