"But... it's opening in a few weeks, sir. There's lots to do, and Lucas just said there are changes," you counter. "If there's anything I can do to help, you know I would."

"I know that," he says. "And I'm saying that there's no need this time. The team can manage. You've taught them well."

"But—"

"You've tendered your resignation, Ms. Cho," he reminds you, his tone a little softer than it's been recently. "Your remaining days here are meant for turnover and mentoring Lucas in his general functions, and not to take on added or continuing responsibilities."

He may have a point, but it doesn't take away from your sadness over no longer knowing how the preparations are going. You've become invested in the Arts Center this past year, too, and while you knew you had to let that go as well, it doesn't mean it's easy.

"Understood, sir," you concede, bowing your head down in submission. "I'll continue with my reports, then."

He just nods, and you don't miss the tinge of apology in his eyes. He leaves, and you're left alone again; you think that's how you've been feeling all this time.

You get on with your task, and it's not long after when Hoseok enters, his bright smile only doing little to raise your spirits.

"Hey, ___," he greets. "How are you holding up?"

"Just fine," you try to smile. "Are you looking for Jungkook? He's not here right now. He's meeting the team about the Arts Center and if you're wondering why I'm not there, it's because he didn't want me to be. First he replaces me, and then he excludes me and I just feel so... I..."

"Seems like you're less than fine," Hoseok says sullenly. "I'm so sorry, ___. I know this has been hard for you. For both of you."

You know it is. But you suppose that you and Jungkook deal with difficulties differently.

"You... you understand why I had to do this, right?" You ask.

"I do," he affirms, his eyes softening even further. "And so does Jungkook. And that's the hard part. He doesn't want you to go but he knows you have to do this for yourself. I guess... Your decisiveness hurt him. And with what I'm seeing now, I guess his acceptance hurt you, too."

"I... I'm such a mess. Maybe I deserve all this," you sigh. "How could I kiss him, push him away, leave him, want him, but can't bring myself to be with him?"

"Because you're human and could want things that you're afraid of? Because it's possible to want to find yourself while also being next to someone else yet still think it's not enough?" Hoseok says. "It's normal to feel all this, ___. But figuring things out also takes time. Don't be too hard on yourself, okay? Not knowing what to do now is understandable."

"I... I only have a few weeks left here," you say softly. "Maybe this is how he wants this all to end."

"What about you? Is this how you want it to end?"

"I don't know, but maybe it's easier," you try to convince yourself. "It's easier to walk away when I know I'm not wanted. Maybe that's what I made him feel, and I can't blame him if that's what he wants me to feel in return."

"Oh, ___," Hoseok shakes his head, knowing it's not the truth. "You and Jungkook just need to talk. Then you'd know you want the same things."

"Maybe... but we're not good at that. And it doesn't mean we want the same things at the same time," you reason.

"So it's about timing, then?"

"I guess. But we're not good at that either," you laugh dryly at the absurdity of it. "Look, even without all this, he already has a lot of things in his mind. The biggest project of his life is about to be unveiled soon and I... I have a life to live after this. I'm doing what I should've done years ago and the least I could do for myself is stand by the decision I made. I know I'd regret it if I stayed. I don't want to regret the way I walked away."