Part 05

**

You hold out until you arrive at the building. That is, until Jungkook heads straight to his room and asks you to follow.

"Own up to your mistake and look at me," he says, his voice seeping with disdain.

You lift your head and meet his eyes, his gaze piercing right through you and you're unable to move, to speak. But you try - a futile attempt, really - at appealing to the compassionate side of him, if it even exists.

"I'm so, so sorry Mr. Jeon," you plead for forgiveness. "I didn't mean to forget the folder. It's been a tough week and—"

"A tough week?" he mocks, his voice getting louder now. "As if you're the only one who's had one? I come here and find myself doing your job. I spent the weekend drafting the designs because I need that deal early only for you to screw it up! My father's been on to me about this project and I need everything done right but I can't seem to because my assistant, who's supposed to be assisting me, can't even get the most basic things done. All you had to do was bring the folder. You didn't even have a contingency plan of having a soft copy. Were you not trained for this role?"

You visibly shake but Jungkook doesn't let up.

"Answer me."

"I... I was, Mr. Jeon," you tremble. "I know I'm not the smartest but I work hard and I—"

"You work hard?"

"Yes, sir."

"In what?"

"In preparing your files and organizing everything for you and..." you try.

A month ago, you'd be saying these things and more with so much conviction. But all it took was one Jeon Jungkook to break you down and make you doubt every single skill you've developed and been praised for the past few years.

"And I can criticize each of those tasks in just this one week you've been my assistant."

"I... I just needed guidance, sir, because it's a new—"

"I need guidance. I need assisting," he sneers. "My father wanted me to keep you because you apparently know how things are supposed to be done but you're asking for guidance from me?"

There's silence on your end and you've never felt as small as you do right now. The way Mrs. Byun abused her power over you and humiliated you during your first years here continues to be unmatched, but being treated this way by a man whose family you respect somehow hurts you more.

You want to give up now. You'll lose everything if you decide to just quit but it's not like there's much left of you to go by anyway, given the week that you've had. But if there's anything your mother taught you is that the lowest you can go is when you don't fight for yourself, so you gather what little dignity you have left and look him in the eyes.

"You do things very differently from Mr. Jung like you said, and I admire your thoroughness," you start, trying your hardest to calm the tone of your voice. "You're adjusting to your new role with a new team and a new assistant that you didn't choose but somehow you have to trust and that's unnerving if you're used to being in control of everything. With all due respect, however, perhaps if you let the people around you adjust as well, we would all find a way to work together effectively and respectfully. A little bit of compassion wouldn't hurt, and it goes a long way."

At his silence, you continue, digging your nails deeper into your skin to help you remain stable.

"I apologize for all the mistakes this past week. I know it has been unpleasant for you as well. I'll do better, that I can promise. But if the way I work is not something that is up to your standard, then there's only one thing to do. Me quitting would put you in a worse light; you can fire me if you think it is best," you bravely state. "I can deal with the consequences."