Part 56

**

Sitting in the meeting room the next day with the management support team chatting around you is a little unnerving. You try to engage with them and put on a smile that doesn't feel real. The nervousness and guilt slowly creep in, especially when Jungkook arrives and orders for the meeting to begin.

"Before we start, I'd just like to make an important announcement," he says, quieting everyone down as he sounds serious. "Ms. Cho has tendered her resignation and will be leaving the company in a month. I wanted to tell the team immediately so we could all work on the necessary adjustments. Lucas, my assistant during my time in Singapore, will be replacing her. I made this decision with the approval of the CEO to ensure a smooth transition. His first day will be on Thursday."

In the silence, you look up, afraid of how the team is taking it. Manager Lee and Chin-sun have a mix of sadness and acceptance on their faces. Yohan has his head bowed down. And Do-hyun sits there, silently crying.

"Do you... do you not like us anymore?" She mumbles through her sniffles.

"Of course I do," you say, your eyes softening. "It's not about that."

"Then what is it?" She asks. "Why... why are you leaving us? Why are you leaving Mr. Jeon?"

"I..." you start, looking at him for approval, and he nods as if to say that you're free to say whatever you want to say. "I've been here for a while. This job is all I know and the years just flew right by. I feel like a new environment and a change of pace would do me good."

Chin-sun turns to you, her look of understanding giving you the comfort that you need. She told you once that you deserve to live a life outside of work, that you need to find yourself and what makes you happy, and that she knows what that could mean. You've always looked up to her and how she's handled everything in her life with such grace, and seeing her give you that nod of encouragement tells you that she gets it, and that despite the doubt that's slowly crept in, she's that hand on your shoulder, saying that you're doing the right thing.

"Do you have to go this soon?" Do-hyun asks, her voice so unusually soft that it makes you feel like crying, too.

"I had initially planned on resigning after the Arts Center launch," you say, the words hitting Jungkook as you see the way he clenches his jaw. "But the company I'll be moving to requested for my start to be in two months. It's too good of an opportunity to pass up on, so I decided to leave early."

It's not a complete lie. You had emailed Namjoon last night and inquired if the production officer position is still open. He responded right away to say that it is, and that he's been hoping for you to officially apply, so you did. He insisted that based on your resume and your mindset and approach to work that he's picked up from your conversations, the role is meant to be yours. He scheduled an interview in the next two weeks during your forced leave - for formalities' sake, he told you - and you can start next quarter.

"I'm just... I'm just really sorry that I'm leaving in the midst of all the preparations," you add, your nails sinking in your skin once more as you try to deal with guilt. "Things just happened so fast and I had to make decisions right away."

"We're gonna be okay," Chin-sun assures you now. "You and Mr. Jeon trained us well. You, especially. We've been working together for over four years and I may have been in this longer but I've learned so much from you, ___. This breaks my heart more than you know but I'm proud of you, and I'm happy for you. I can at least say on behalf of the team that we don't want this decision to burden you. You've held the fort for everyone for so long, you deserve to pursue whatever makes you happy."

"Thank you," you whisper, feeling the words getting caught in your throat as you try to keep yourself from breaking down.

Chin-sun isn't always this sentimental, so you know it means just as much to her that she's able to say these things to you.