Part 45

It's an hour later, after having dried and fixed up, when you're all on the basketball court to start the next activity that Mr. Ri prepared. Divided into teams of two, each pair is assigned a path that leads to either the mountain, the woods, or the stream to find bags of coins needed to "purchase" materials to create a science experiment-type water rocket. It's meant to practice your communication and problem-solving skills with those you work most closely with, which is why Chin-sun and Do-hyun, and Manager Lee and Yohan are paired up respectively while you, of course, end up with Jungkook.

"The caretakers and I spent all morning preparing this game, so please take it seriously," Mr Ri says. "And bond with each other while you're at it."

You see the competitiveness in the young ones' eyes, especially when it's announced that there's a prize for the winners, and you like the energy. Being Jungkook's partner, you know it's just about completing the task and somehow, it's the bonding bit that makes you nervous. You already know you're going to like it, which is precisely why it terrifies you.

"There are ATVs for each team which you will ride to the start of the path. You'll have to go by foot when you get there or else you'll miss the bags of coins," Mr. Ri instructs. "You have walkie-talkies to reach me in case you get lost but please don't. And try to be back here in an hour. All clear?"

You all express your acknowledgement and he signals the start. The other teams rush to their rides and quickly drive off while you and Jungkook stroll to yours.

He takes the helmet and puts it on you, and he laughs again like he did at the Arts Center months ago before riding the vehicle.

"I should've expected that," you pout.

"Which?"

"That you'll laugh at me again."

"It looks cute on you," he says casually before riding the vehicle.

Your eyes widen at his words and you're glad he has his back turned on you. That way he can't see the way you're trying to hold your smile and suppress the giddy feeling at his remark. It makes it that much harder for you to climb up behind him though, but you manage, and you ensure there's some distance between you and him, knowing how you tend to be when you get close.

Jungkook, on the other hand, internally smacks himself after he says the words. He didn't mean for the thoughts in his head to actually come out. He's glad he didn't see your probably awkward expression, and that right now, he needs to focus on the road. That way, he can preoccupy himself with your safety and not his embarrassment.

He means it though. There's something about you in a helmet that gets him, or even in anything oversized, like his jacket that he made you wear once. There's also something about you wading in the water and laughing so freely that make his insides melt. Anything you do actually triggers something in him - a protective side, a care-free side; a side that wants to take a pause and bask in the scenery that includes you.

Now he has to act like he's not affected with you sitting behind him as he drives the ATV down the rugged path. He feels you far from him, sitting close to the edge and holding onto the handles behind you. But as the road gets rockier, he starts to get worried.

"You should hold onto me," he says, turning his head to the side so you could hear him before slowing down. "It's safer that way."

It takes a few seconds but he feels you move closer to him, your arms slowly wrapping around his torso. It's a bit loose but it's enough for his breathing to quicken.

"Is... is this okay?" You softly ask.

"Yeah," he manages to say. "It's a bit rocky out here so be careful. You can, uh, you can hold on tighter if you feel unstable."