Part 41

**

The morning after heavy rain is always bittersweet. There's the reality of the damage it caused but you also can't deny that it gives life to other living things. What it also does is make way for clear skies and give you that fresh, rainwater scent of the grass and the trees. It's what you see and smell when you open the bedroom windows, reminding you that the evening has passed and the worst is over.

You spot Jungkook seated on one of the chairs in the garden, and you hope that the view is making him feel better, with the nightmare from last night slowly drifting away from his mind. You dress up in the dry clothes you find hanging on the doorknob of the room then head downstairs, surprised to see food prepared in the dining area. The tofu stew and grilled mackerel are so appetizing, and the loud rumbling of your stomach reminds you that you didn't eat last night, with all the stress making dinner your last priority.

"Hello, dear. It was a pretty hard evening so we prepared something for our guests," the owner says, her radiant smile reflecting the brightness of the day. "You may call your friend outside so you can both eat and get ready for a long drive home."

You thank her then call Jungkook, his eyes brightening when he walks back inside and sees the food. He engages in conversation with the owners, asking about this town and the surrounding ones, and what their appeal is to non-residents. You gauge that he's doing a bit of research himself, and you think he's at least not too out of it to still do so.

"You're free to stay until noon," the owner informs you. "You can enjoy the view outside; it's really pretty now that the sky has cleared. I'll be making tea shortly as well."

Jungkook says he'll return to the garden and you wait for the hot drinks before following him. You're unsure if he wants you around but you try, sitting next to him then sighing in relief when he doesn't move away.

"I was 10 years old when my parents sent me and my brother to a cabin somewhere in Hwasun," he starts. "I thought they were coming with us but it was just me and Jeong-sik and some staff. He and I never got along. If he wasn't ignoring me, he was teasing me. But that day, he convinced me to play hide-and-seek, saying that by the time he finds me, our parents would be back. We were outdoors and I ended up wandering too far, so close to the woods that I couldn't find my way back. My brother hadn't come and I was getting scared. And then it started to rain."

"Jungkook, you don't have to—"

"It started getting stronger and the skies had become so dark, I could barely see anything," he continues, his eyes fixed towards the mountains faraway. "The rain made the ground slippery so I decided to just sit by a large tree and hope someone would find me. It felt like hours and maybe it was. The thunder was so loud then and it kept going and going and going. And I was drenched and all alone, and no matter how hard I screamed, no one could hear me."

"I'm so sorry, Jungkook," you say, feeling your heart break as he narrates a painful memory that you can relate with.

It's only close to what you experienced yet it feels so real to you. You can feel his fear and his pain in the tremble of his voice, in the way he grips on the edges of the bench, in the way his jaw clenches at the memory, like it's one he's tried hard to bury yet can't get rid of, no matter how hard he tries.

But this feels so personal, and you don't want him to feel like he needs to share it with you.

"You don't have to explain," you add. "I know it's difficult to share something like that."

"But I want to," he responds, turning to you now. "Because I've carried the memory with me for 20 years and I've been dealing with it all on my own. But that's not an excuse to treat you the way I did last night. That's not a reason for me to take it out on you and especially to blame you. That was wrong of me and I'm sorry, ___. I..."