Part 43

**

Jungkook returns to his usual self the week after. He says he went to one of their properties in Gwangju over the weekend where the weather was good and the long drive helped him stay focused and rejuvenated. He doesn't say much of what he's feeling and you expect that, but you're glad his little trip gave him some peace somehow.

You, on the other hand, were left to deal with your growing feelings for him while downplaying them to your best friends. They came over for their regular visit on Saturday and while they were sympathetic with Jungkook over what happened, they still reminded you to be cautious. Once you cross a line, there's no going back, and once you fully admit to what you feel, you can't unfeel it; not acting on it becomes too hard and in your case, complicated.

The week is like any other but with much anticipation, given the upcoming annual team building that everyone's excited about. This is one of the things that the support team was worried wouldn't happen under Jungkook's leadership, but you assured them early on that it was mandatory. And with him having loosened up and feeling more comfortable around them, you have high hopes that he'll enjoy it as much as everyone will.

It's why on that Saturday, you find yourself in the mall to buy the things that you'll be needing for those three days that you'll be spending in one of the Jeon properties in Gangwon. The venue changes every year and the villas by the lake are perfect for spring this time. Your shopping list includes all the materials for the activities and some other things Jungkook requested, like a certain book that he doesn't have time to buy.

You enter a bookstore and as you try to find what you're looking for, something else catches your eye. You may love the library for the space more than the books, but there will always be those that pull you in and make you curious. Even if you only read picture books when you were younger, there were a few short stories and poems that piqued your interest. You never finished them but you did manage to get through several pages.

The one right in front of you - with its pastel colored cover and simple yet intriguing design - feels like one of those. To your delight, it's a short story collection, and your smile is immediate as you go through the pages, with each story being accompanied by illustrations that feel so personal. This would be a nice read while you're lounging at the villa's deck or even on your balcony, you think.

Another book catches your attention. The title is familiar, and you realize it's one of the classics that you were required to read in high school. It has a new cover, and you see that it's a new edition to celebrate its 30th year. You go through the pages as well, thinking back to when you had to force yourself to finish this some 15 years ago. It looks more fresh now, and definitely more enticing.

"Did you find what you're looking for?"

You look up to find a tall man with deep-set eyes as the owner of the voice who'd interrupted your moment of book appreciation.

"I'm okay," you dismiss him. "I don't need assistance."

You politely smile then return the books in their respective spots, ready to head out and search for what you came here to buy.

"Are you not going to get those?" The man presses. "You seemed to be interested in them and—"

"Were you watching me?" You ask, taken aback.

"Uh, no. I mean, not in the way you think," he answers in panic, seemingly nervous at how it looks. "I wasn't being creepy or anything I just... I..."

"Do you even work here?" You interrogate him, your alarm bells ringing at this man's odd behavior and the absence of a nameplate that the other staff have on.