Part 50

**

Avoiding talking to Jungkook about non-work matters - which is really what you only intended to do - is much more difficult when you have to pretend you don't care about him.

That Monday morning, you stop yourself from asking how he's doing after spotting the empty whiskey bottle and beer cans in his kitchen bin. While you give him the usual hangover remedy, you stop short of suggesting that he get some rest or buying him his favorite lunch dish.

During the meeting that you accompany him to in the afternoon, you watch him helplessly as his father hounds him with questions about the other projects, adding even more pressure than what he's currently under, and you look away when he tries to meet your eyes. You used to send him encouragement through your gentle nods and soft smiles but you're scared you'll fall into your feelings once again if you do them, knowing that any sign of him needing you is all it would take for you to give in and talk to him, maybe comfort him.

You've become so weak for him, you realize that now. His detachment used to put you off and frustrate you, but knowing him the way you do, it's what makes you want to be there for him; it's what makes you want to assure him that you're just there.

But you aren't, because you're pushing him away. You're making him go through his confusion and stress and exhaustion all on his own because you're a coward, too. You're scared of your own feelings. You're scared of them being rejected and you're scared of them being returned. You didn't realize just how much you are because you never actually felt something this deeply for anyone, and that terrifies you even more.

Watching him from your desk as he pores through documents on his laptop is hard, too. You're done for the day but he's said earlier that he'll be staying late to finish a few things because there are many distractions at his place. You want to tell him they can wait, that he'll need to rest and regain his energy for the week ahead, or that some fresh air could help clear his mind.

But you don't. Instead, you pack your things and head out, knowing that much as it's your decision to force this distance between both of you, it's still something you wish you didn't have to do. You don't know how long you can sustain it, but somehow you know that once he gives in, so will you, and so all this might as well just be useless or even worse for you.

Mr. Ri picks up on the change the next morning, as he asks if you and Jungkook had an argument on the way to his penthouse.

"There was no argument, " you answer. "There's just a lot on my mind and he's a big part of that. I just... I just don't know how to deal with things, you know?"

"Things like what?" Mr. Ri asks.

"Feelings," you sigh. "I mean, you said they can't be helped. And you're right, I can't. That's my big problem right now."

"Oh, ___," he says, softly smiling through the rear view mirror.

You can tell he's trying to comfort you, something he's told you before he's unsure how to do. You brush him off, saying you'll figure it out, and he assures you that you could talk to him and that maybe, you need to just let it out to someone who knows what you're battling against. You express your appreciation then inhale deeply once you arrive at Jungkook's building.

The clanking sound of plates surprises you when you enter the penthouse. You walk cautiously towards the kitchen and find Jungkook already dressed in his work attire, placing the basket of toasted bread in the middle of the dining table where you spot the two plates with eggs in each. You wonder if you're late, given that he'd gone ahead and made breakfast for both of you already.

"You're on time," he says after seeing you check your watch. "I was just up early. I couldn't really sleep. I think I have too much on my mind."

"I still could have made this for you," you say so softly, Jungkook almost misses it.