thirteen

⁕ ❋ ✻ ✽ ❃ ✿ ❊

dasha and chris rushed into the room, slamming the door shut behind them. they looked at each other for a moment, and then burst into laughter.

''did you see alahna's face?'' chris laughed.

''yeah.'' she smiled. ''she looked mad.''

''we're not telling them it kinda worked - we'll keep them feeling guilty.'' 

''obviously.'' she laughed.

chris gave her a small smile. ''you have a pretty laugh, you know?''

as soon as the words left his mouth, he regretted them. he felt the atmosphere in the room change and he saw dasha's smile fade into complete confusion. he didn't understand why he had even said that. he was supposed to hate this girl.

he cleared his throat. ''are you getting changed?''

''yeah.'' she replied softly.

she walked to her suitcase, chris' words lingering in her mind. a pretty laugh? she had never heard that compliment before but, if she was honest, she didn't laugh around people that often. she shook the thought from her head as she sorted through her clothes, wishing she had packed more crop tops. 

it was hot, and the only top she had packed without sleeves was the white one. she hesitated for a second, but decided to wear it. she went to the bathroom to change, and chris led on his bed. he thought of her laugh, and he felt a weird feeling in his stomach. he wished he could hear it again, and then he paused. 

what the fuck? 

he hated dasha - why was he thinking about her laugh?

''i'm ready.''

''let's go outside now.''

--

two hours later:

''i actually think we have enough research.'' dasha muttered, looking at the clipboard in her hands.

chris looked at her blankly. ''but we have tomorrow?''

''i don't think we'll need it.'' she replied. ''we can start writing up the report and hopefully finish a day early.''

the two of them looked at each other for a moment, surprised at the amount of work they had completed. yesterday, it had taken the entire day to get one piece of information. today, in two hours, they had managed to get their entire research done plus some extra.

''so now what do we do?'' he asked.

she shrugged. ''anything, i guess.''

''wanna climb this tree?''

she tilted her head slightly. ''what?''

''you heard me.''

''no, chris, i don't want to climb a tree.''

''come on!''

she rolled her eyes. ''you hate me, so i don't really trust you.'' 

''i won't let you fall, rein.''

she hesitated, looking up at the tree. truthfully, she did want to climb it. she wanted to show chris that she could be cool, and she wasn't always so uptight, but she knew she couldn't do it. she would back out or start to get panicky.

''i can't, i'm sorry.''

she prepared herself for his reaction, expecting him to sigh or roll his eyes. he'd probably call her boring because that's what most other people would do, but he didn't do any of that. he just shrugged, not really seeming bothered.