Chapter 44 - Sangeet

Agam's Pov

Hiding from the crowd, I slipped inside my room and quickly locked the door. It was 7 in the evening, and the sangeet was about to start. Sarah still hadn't seen my texts or sent her pictures.

For the last time I called her, and she picked it up
"Hello" she said
"You know I got mehandi done on my hand" I said
"Really? Show" she said in excitement
"First send me your picture" I replied instantly
"No!" She replied
"Then you are also not getting to see my mehandi" I replied. There was a playful silence on the line for a moment, filled with anticipation.

"Come on, Sarah, don't be like that" I pleaded, trying to coax her into sharing her picture.

"You're being unfair, Agam" she retorted, her tone teasing yet firm.

I sighed, realizing she wasn't going to budge. "Fine, fine, you win this time" I conceded.

"Alright, now show me your mehndi," she demanded eagerly.

With a grin, I held up my hand to the camera and clicked the picture of the patterns adorning my skin along with her name.

"Here it is," I said triumphantly as I sent her the picture.

"Oh my god, you got my name written on your hand, Agam?" she asked in shock.

"Nahi, Abhigyan likha hai. Vo dhyaan se dekho," I replied, bursting into laughter.
(No, Abhigyan's name is written. Read carefully)

"Ha ha ha, very funny," she replied with a fake laugh, clearly not amused by my prank.

I heard some whispers on the call, and then the car door opening, so I asked, "Are you going somewhere?"

She stammered a bit and replied, "N-No, where will I go? Actually, I came outside to see off some of the guests. I'll call you later."

"Which guests?" I asked out of curiosity, as most of the people at her house for today's function were family members who were going to stay there only.

"Agam, I'll talk to you later. Bye, I love you," she said in a rush and ended the call abruptly.

I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was amiss, but just then I heard a knock on the door. I went towards it to open the door.

"Dada, dadi is very angry," Yug said, standing there with a cup of ice cream in his hand.

"Why bacha?" I asked, picking him up in my arms.

"Aapko dhund rhe hai sab," he said, shoving another bite of ice cream in his mouth.
(Everyone is searching for you)

"Chalo, daant sunte hai," I said, and then went towards the garden where the sangeet was about to take place.
(let's go and listen to scoldings)

"Where were you?" Abhigyan asked.

"In my room, what happened?" I replied.

"Nothing, aunty was looking for you," he replied.

"Why is everyone looking for me? Sangeet is not even a function where I am required," I replied, putting Yug down as he wanted to greet Sasha, who was coming towards us with Lara.

"Congratulations, Agam," Lara said.

"Thanks, Lara. I'm glad you could make it," I replied, thanking her.

"Of course I had to, varna Sarah mujhe maar daalti," she replied, laughing.
(Of course I had to otherwise Sarah would've killed me)

"You must be coming from Sarah's house. By chance, do you have any picture of her?" I asked her out of desperation.