Chapter 29: Taboo

A day after, 03:20 PM

"You sure you not messing up my nails?" I asked letting out a sigh, leaning my head back further into the cushion. 

"Nooo, it's going to turn out so so pretty, trust meee!" Destiny reassured as she continued painting my nails. 

I had allowed her to do so out of encouragement, not wanting to hurt her feelings by turning her down. 

Slightly leaning forward, I caught a glimpse of my nails and my eyes widened.

The pink, sparkly-tinted paint was smeared all over my fingers, and some was leaking onto the white couch from the bottle lying sideways.

"Destiny, I think that's enough," I said assertively as I stood up, holding my hand out to avoid rubbing it on something. 

"Noooooo! Let me keep painting, please!" she cried out, tugging on my shirt and jumping up and down vigorously. 

"How about u let me wash this off and i make you your favorite cookies?" I suggested, crouching in front of her and tilting my head with a smile. 

She immediately folded her arms across her chest, pouting and rolling her eyes.

"Whatever" she sighed, grabbing her tools and hurrying up the stairs, leaving me confused.

Ignoring her attitude, I quickly made my way to the bathroom and turned on the tap with my forearm, attempting to wash the paint off. 

Realizing the paint had deeply stained my skin around the nails, I let out a deep sigh and shook my head.

I turned the tap off and brought my nails closer to my eyes as I attempted to peel the paint off with my nails.

"What happen?" I heard Von's voice coming from the background, causing me to turn around.

He stood casually by the doorway, his gaze fixed on me, clearly curious about what was going on.

"Nothing. Destiny messed up my fingers"  I muttered, shuffling my feet as I reached for a towel to dry my hands.

"Lil folks prolly was jus playin' witcha, she ain't mean it" he said as he slowly approached me.

Taking my hand, still marked with smudges of paint, he looked at it closely.

"I know, Von. But tomorrow's also my birthday, and I don't even know how I'm going to celebrate it," I said, meeting his gaze, my lips tight with hesitation.

"I already told u I got it, don't worry 'bout it," he said, pulling me close with a smirk.

"So you ain't going to tell me nothing about it?" I said, tilting my head and looking up into his eyes with a raised eyebrow. 

"Nah, I'd rather let it stay a surprise," he replied in a calm tone, lifting his hand slightly to tuck my hair behind my ear as his other arm remained around my waist. 

"But, I don't have anybody to invite except for India, Durk, and..." I slowly spoke, squinting and thinking of who else could be invited. 

"And who?" he questioned, his piercing gaze remaining on me. 

"Nobody. Those are literally the only people I be in contact with" I said, ignoring the thought of inviting Kentrell and his friends whom I had recently talked to through FaceTime. 

"So you tryna tell me dat u dont be talkin' wit no body else except for India and Durk? Man, that's some bullshit, don't play me like dat" he said, his voice lowering as he backed up, leaning against the wall, his brows slightly furrowed.