Chapter 3: Freedom

Waking up to the usual loud thud from the cafeteria above, I groaned, realizing my sleep was interrupted again. The noise from the bustling kitchen above always bothered me. Rubbing my eyes, I sighed and glanced over at Maya, still snoring away, blissfully unaware. Envy filled me as I wished for her ability to sleep through anything.

Today was different, though. Today marked the end of my prison days. In a hurry, I tossed off my PJs, throwing on a baggy black hoodie and some flared cargo pants - the only clothes I had left from the accident. Striding over to the cracked mirror, I took in the reflection. Acne had eased a bit, maybe due to cutting back on the weed. Freedom days were near, so I had decided to kick the habit. Staring at my four-sectioned cornrows, a skill Maya picked up as the designated hair expert, I couldn't wait to take care of myself again.

Tucking the money she gave me in my bra, I gathered my things, ready for the guards to escort me out. Leaning over Maya's bed, brushing her damaged curls with my fingers and placing a kiss on her forehead. "Imma be back" i whispered with the assurance that I'll visit her whenever I get the chance.

The sweet moment shattered when the guard interrupted, keys clanking loudly. "Come," the guard instructed. As I walked past the cells, the mixed reactions of my fellow inmates echoed. Ignoring the comments, I headed for the stairs, marching towards the administrative process that would lead to my freedom.

Personal belongings retrieved, I found my iPhone buried under a mountain of notifications. Opting for a low-paying rest house with the money Maya gave me and I called an Uber to take me there.

As I hopped into the Uber, I wasted no time diving into every social media platform I could to catch up on the latest news. It felt surreal to be back in the loop after missing out for so long. Opening Instagram, I scrolled through my profile, clicking on one of my latest pics from four years ago.

brrrianna3 • 06.05.2019

brrrianna3 badder than ur girl 😘

liked by aaliyahh5569 and 3,958 others

josephd88 damn ma who u lookin dis good for 🙄

While scrolling through the comments, one caught my eye - Joseph's. I had almost forgotten about him; he used to be my high school boyfriend. The memories flooded back, the good times and the betrayal as he cheated on me multiple times. We had been together since freshman year, and as I clicked over to his profile for any updates, I found myself unable to access his posts. Was I blocked? I wondered. The intricacies of Instagram were a bit fuzzy after my time behind bars, but I figured I'd catch up quickly.

As I continued scrolling through my posts, the changes in myself became more apparent. The face fat was gone, leaving my face slimmer, and my body had undergone subtle transformations. Looking down at my thighs, I noticed my curves had grown more prominent, and my ass seemed fuller. It dawned on me that over four years had passed, and my body had naturally gone through various changes.