33

"An 86! Nice job, Aki! I know you worked hard for this,"
You congratulated your son while ruffling his hair, though there was a dissatisfied expression on his face.

"I wanted a one hundred..."
He mumbled, looking at the ground.

"I'm glad you're aiming high, but there's always next time, alright? And don't get yourself down, an 86 is really good already!"
You kissed the boy's forehead, bringing your hands down to hold his.

"I think you deserve a reward. Denji and Power have a play date lined up for them this weekend. How about the two of us go out for ice cream?"
You proposed, proud of yourself for making this happen.

He looked at you with disbelief, and then excitement.
"Really? Just the two of us?"

You nodded with a smile, taking delight in how his expression lit up.

He liked his siblings, he really did, but never stopped him from missing the times when it was just you and him against the world, when he was your precious star.

Well there wasn't just one star in the sky anymore.

"Okay Denji, Power, make sure to play nice, alright?"

The two kids nodded happily, running off to meet their friend who was waiting for the two in their front yard. You exchanged a few words with the child's parents before heading back to the car, giving your eldest son a smile.

"Ready to go bud?"

He nodded silently, excited for his sweet treat.

"...and then I did this super cool thing and got him right on the back! I felt so cool!"
Your son exclaimed, finishing up his story.

Peaking at him through the rearview mirror, you spoke,
"It sounds cool! I wish I could've seen it! You think you'll do Kendo into high school?"

He thought for a moment before answering,
"Probably. If school gets too hard I might not though,"

"Well either way, I'll support you, okay?"

He gave you a confirming hum just as you pulled into a parking lot, parking your car and quickly hopping out of it to open the door for your son.

Bowing down slightly, you spoke in an exaggerated tone,
"Are you ready to go, prince Aki?"

Aki smiled, holding back a laugh before jumping out,
"Yes, I am!"

A chuckled could be heard coming from you as you closed the door, your son holding your hand as you walked to the ice cream shop. How long had it been since the two of you had spent time together like this? Though it might've just been a month, it felt like ages to the boy.

The two of you got into the ice cream shop, the little boy smiling just from the smells alone.

"Go ahead Aki, get as much as you want,"

He looked at you for a second before going up to the register and making his order. He'd be getting a triple scoop of [whatever flavors] in a waffle cone with sprinkles.

"Good choice,"
You ruffled his hair before making your own order.

Waffle cones were nice, but you liked having the option to set your stuff down to use both of your hands, so you opted for the paper bowl.

Your son received his ice cream with a wide grin, and the two of you decided to sit outside once you got yours, seeing as the weather was nice today.

The two of you ate your sweet treats in comfortable silence, with you not wanting to make Aki speak if he didn't want to. When he'd first arrived in your home, he didn't speak too much due to what had happened to him, but over time that had changed.

Still, he wasn't the most extroverted kid in the world, and you didn't want to push him out of his comfort zone too much. Besides, he already had friends, there wasn't too much to worry about regarding his social life.

"Dad, can I ask you something?"

"Shoot,"

"Do you regret having us?"

You choked on your ice cream when your processed his ice cream, half due to shock, and half due to the urge to laugh at the sudden question. It wasn't like the question itself was funny, but hearing it so suddenly...

You set your ice cream down and looked into your son's eyes,
"Aki, what's making you ask that?"

He looked away from you nervously,
"Well sometimes I hear other adults talking about how young of a parent you are, and then more stuff about all the fun stuff they did at your age,"

He continued,
"I feel bad because you might've missed out on all of that stuff cuz of us..."

You sighed,
"Aki, having you was my choice. You think it's easy becoming a certified foster parent? It was hard, but I stuck through it because I wanted to give kids a better life,"

You cupped his cheek with your hand,
"That means you Aki. And sure, when Denji and Power came along, I wasn't too sure of myself, but look how that turned out!"

"I've got a wonderful family now, and if any of you decide to have kids, I'll be a hot grandpa!"

Your son laughed as he heard the last part, and was careful not to let his ice cream fall.

"I've never regretting having you three, not for a moment. And besides, I had most of my fun in college,"

Hearing that seemed to put your son's doubts at ease, and he finished the rest of his ice cream without a worry.

Part of him would always be shocked at how kind of a person you were, it was strange.

"How about we go to the arcade after this? I feel like you'll have some good luck at the crane games today,"

He smiled at you,
"Sounds good!"

•••

"You're the best big brother in the world!"
The two younger siblings cried out as they reviewed their presents from Aki.

You were right about his luck, with him winning more stuffed animals than you could count! Being the kind child he was, he gave them to his siblings, only keeping the ones he especially liked for himself.

Your son walked up to you, holding something behind his back.

"Hm? What ya got there, Aki?"

He held a small stuffed animal out to you,
"This one's for you,"

There was no way you wouldn't hug the life out him after that, and there was no way Denji and Power wouldn't try to squeeze into it either.

_______________________

Sorry for the hiatus on this book yall I couldn't think of anything but I will try to have at least one more chapter next month