29

As the nurses called Quanxi, you tried to piece together what had happened to you.

You were out on a walk with your children when...

Oh.

Aki shot you.

You could remember walking towards him slowly, excruciating pain filling each step. You grabbed the gun out of his hands and threw it off the bridge, letting it sink into the murky waters below.

After that, everything went black.

There wasn't any way you were letting your child go to prison, he'd probably turn evil or something!

After examining you for a while, the nurses left, and your children bursted through the door with tears in their eyes.

"Dad!"

They said before running to you, jumping onto your hospital bed and hugging you tightly.

"Oof! Careful you three, dad's still recovering!"
You said with a chuckle.

Denji pulled away and wiped his tears,
"I'm sorry dad, I tried to be strong! I didn't wanna be a crybaby!"

You kissed away the boy's tears,
"That's alright Denji, even strong boys like you should be allowed to cry,"

Then he bursted into a full sob, hugging you tightly while mumbling about how scared he was and how much he missed you.

"I knew you'd be okay!"
Power exclaimed through her tears.

She was happy she was right, but throughout that whole time, there was always a fear that you wouldn't be okay, and that she'd get her hopes up for nothing.

But you were fine! And she was right! That's all that mattered.

"I'm glad you held out hope for me, Power,"
You said while hugging her.

All the while Aki was silent. Would you forgive him for what he'd done to you? He almost took your life!

You pulled him into you, whispering into his ear,
"Everything's fine now Aki. I'm okay,"

He silently sobbed into you while you comforted him, trying to wash away the guilt he felt. He was so glad he didn't kill you.

You were eventually able to get all the kids off of you and onto some chairs, letting you talk to Quanxi.

"So what happened?"
She asked.

"I got shot,"
You replied.

She clicked her tongue,
"Obviously. Who did it?"

"That's a question we would like the answer to as well,"
Two men walked into your room.

THE POLICE?!
You thought to yourself, already feeling a bit nervous with them in the room.

"Crime like this isn't normal in this town, so we'd like to get to the bottom of it. Do you have any idea who did this to you?"