Chapter 32: Sobek

Day 44 (Morning)

Dark clouds filled the sky. At first, Sobek thought torrential rain would pour down onto the land. But as soon as he got off the chariot, he noticed that it was much darker than usual; the sunlight did not pierce the clouds. The torches that were supposedly put off already, remained blazing in every corner of the buildings. As befuddled as the humans were, Sobek went into the chariot again and ordered the rider to bring him up.

Going through the sea of clouds, Sobek was made aware that it was not the usual type of clouds. It was more solid; if he depended on the air like all human beings, he would face trouble inhaling it. Realizing it was unusual, he wondered whether it was the work of Yahweh. However, he also sensed the power of evil there. As annoyed as he was to The Creator of All, he admitted that His power would not contain evil. This then raised an alarming question: Who's the enemy that was exploiting their crumbling situation?

Finally Sobek arrived above the clouds. He could not believe his eyes because they were stretched out like solid black ground; no wonder the sunlight could not shine through. He told the rider to scour them. Before long, he learned that the solidified clouds floated above all lands and cities under the rule of Egypt, except for the Land of Goshen.

It's definitely the work of Yahweh. Still, how come His power contains evil?

The worst feeling suddenly crept in. Nevertheless, Sobek shook his head, refusing to believe the theory that just came into his head. It isn't possible, is it?

"Do you still want to explore the sky, my Lord Sobek?" the rider asked, dispersing his thoughts.

"No, please bring me back to Earth."

The rider nodded and did as instructed. When they finally landed, Hapi approached him.

"Do you know what's happening?" Sobek asked.

"You haven't heard the news?" Hapi asked. "Were you in Aaru yesterday?"

"I didn't," Sobek shook his head. "I was in my river sanctuary the whole day."

"No wonder you haven't heard the news," Hapi said.

"What is this news then?" Sobek grew impatient.

"Lord Ra has been defeated by Apophis.

Sobek could not believe his ears. It was the worst possible thing that came to his mind, as Ra once told him that if Apophis ever defeated him, then Egypt would be covered in darkness. While it explained the power of evil contained in the clouds, it was still a question to him why Apophis spared Goshen. Did Yahweh order the serpent to do it? Or did it simply want to avoid getting into trouble?

"Bastet told me that Yahweh has strengthened Apophis through The Archangel Michael," Hapi said, as if he could read Sobek's mind. "Good thing is Lord Ra is still alive, even though he's badly injured."

"Why did Yahweh have to do it?" Sobek asked. "I mean... Why did He give a lesson in the form of strengthening Apophis?"

"Lord Ra's joining Set in the war has angered Him."

That makes sense.

"Goshen is safe from the clouds," Sobek said. "Yahweh... couldn't possibly strengthen Apophis in exchange for sparing the land, could He?"

"Yahweh created Apophis alongside Lord Ra. Obviously it is impossible if He as The Creator made an agreement with The Created."

Sobek nodded a few times. He then sighed. "As long as Lord Ra hasn't recovered, our land will always be covered by darkness."