Chapter 14: Nephthys

Day 29: around 10 A.M to 11 A.M..

As usual, Nephthys was the first deity to arrive after the sunrise. At that time, some humans had already scattered throughout the area; they were all digging the ground to get clean water. This new routine had started on the second day after the blood contaminated the water. Unfortunately, the volume retrieved was always limited. This made all gods, especially those responsible directly with water management, feel extreme guilt upon failing to recover the water. Furthermore, the contamination caused not only the water to become stinky and undrinkable, but also the fishes could not be consumed. Seeing the human unnecessarily toil like this always tore Nephthys' heart. This made her never stop praying to Yahweh at the end of the day, hoping that on the next morning, He would finally be willing to lift up His power.

Nephthys stepped out from her chariot and walked towards the river side. A few moments later, Sobek and Hapi arrived. Sobek stared at the river and sighed. "It's been seven days already. I'm honestly starting to lose hope."

"All these people also have questioned us every single day," Hapi said as his eyes trailed over to every human in the area. "They seemed obedient only because Ramses ordered them to do so."

"And Ramses is obedient because Lord Geb had threatened to toss him to Lady Ammit," Sobek followed.

"They're genuinely obedient or not is not important right now," Nephthys said. "What's important is to never lose hope. Who knows if Yahweh suddenly has a change of heart on this day."

"I wonder how on Earth you can be convinced about that," Sobek responded incredulously. He then looked at the humans again. "Besides, even if Yahweh says out loud that He will remove His power from the river, I'm not sure I still want to wholeheartedly help them."

"Why do you say that?" Nephthys asked.

"All this time every time they prayed properly, we would constantly bless them. Right now we truly are powerless to protect them, but they're not supportive at all. All they do is just grumbling in protest in their houses, and faking their faith in front of the palace staff and soldiers. It really itches me to teach them a lesson they won't forget."

"It's disappointing, I know," Nephthys said. "But even if Lord Horus didn't forbid us from doing it, we must try as hard as we can to hold ourselves back."

"Can't Lord Horus just temporarily dismiss the separation magic?" Sobek responded as he gazed at the humans again. "If they can see us risk our life for them, then they could be more grateful."

"If Osiris and Isis never suggested that we and the living humans should be separated, then they would always live in fear and discomfort," Nephthys said. "They might be unable to forget the past traumas of their ancestors."

"For all those past traumas, we could always be thankful for that damn Ares and selfish Odin."

"Sobek, it's already hundreds of years in the past," Hapi said. "We should not bring it up again."

Sobek sighed a deep breath. "I really miss the moment when the gods and humans live together and directly mingle with each other," he said; he then walked towards the river, immediately followed by Hapi and Nephthys.

Before long, the other gods started showing up at the scene. Just like the days before, they would walk slowly into the river and have their shoulders slump when they dipped their staff into the water. Some even murmured to each other, wondering why they should keep repeating the attempt they believed would bear no result again. Only when Horus, Geb and Nut finally arrived did they stop and get ready in position. Horus took some time to talk with Tefnut and Shu, before he leaped and landed into the middle of the water. Raising his right hand, he shouted the command to chant the restoration spell.