Chapter 9: Isis

Day 20

The field for the gathering had been packed when Isis and Nephthys arrived there. The elders were seated on the wooden boxes, while the young men gathered in the back row. While waiting, they discussed with each other about the figure who would lead them out from Egypt, and how he would convince Ramses to give his approval for it. As there were so many people talking at the same time, the area had turned noisy. However, not a single guard came to check. Isis assumed it was because Urhiya had been asked to concentrate all guards outside the walls of Goshen, with the purpose to prevent anyone from leaving the habitation. The area itself was located far from the gates or walls, so far that it was impossible for the noises to reach their mundane ears. Obviously Isis could come to them and make them aware of this convention. Nonetheless, as Isis did not want to mess with Yahweh, she decided to just stay still and watch how Aaron would convince everyone that Moses was Yahweh's emissary.

Moses finally arrived after quite some time. He was only with Zipporah and Miriam. Moses went straight to Aaron, while Zipporah and Miriam stood still beside a house. Aaron hugged Moses and spoke words of encouragement to him. In response, he only gave a thin smile and a nod. Both then ascended to the wooden stage placed right before the front row.

"My respected elders and fellow friends," Aaron started speaking. Everyone promptly stopped talking and fixated on him. "I would like to thank you for providing time for us, especially since it's your time to take a rest after working all day long."

"Is the man beside you the emissary from The God of our ancestors?" a man at the back row suddenly asked.

"Yes, he is," Aaron responded. Everyone quickly looked at each other and murmured something. It was crystal clear that they were just like everyone Isis saw earlier in the afternoon: expressing a sense of doubt as soon as they laid their eyes on Moses. Isis could see that upon getting this immediate response, Moses looked terrified. He even bowed his head down and stared only at his feet. Nevertheless, when Aaron patted his back, he took a deep breath. He then shifted his focus back on the people in front of him.

"The... the God of Abraham... , ," Moses stuttered as soon as he started speaking. "The... God of Isaac... ," he paused for a brief moment, before he continued again. "The God of Jacob... has sent me to you."

Responding to this opening speech, a few people shook their heads slowly without saying anything. As he was immediately aware of this response, Moses stopped speaking. He lowered his eyes, which Isis assumed he was afraid of locking eyes with everyone. Aaron quickly comforted him by saying, "It's a good start. I'll continue speaking on your behalf."

Aaron turned to everyone. "Our God has visited Egypt and seen what has been done to you. He has promised to bring all of us to a land flowing with milk and honey."

"Will the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob really bring us out from this land?"

"Yes, He will, Elpalet."

"I honestly can't believe it."

"Why?" Aaron responded. "Didn't you know who once guided Joseph to be the prime minister of Egypt, that our people didn't end up perished because of his power here?"

"We know it's the God of Abraham who gave the guidance. But He has abandoned us for hundreds of years. Now He said He wanted to free us, but He gave us a stutter like Moses to be our leader,".

Moses stepped backward, as if he wanted to just turn around and jump from the stage. However, Aaron caught his arm and tightly grasped it.

"Our God works in a mysterious way. Don't you realize it?"

"I often hear about it. However, if a stutter is chosen, how will he convince the king to free us?"

Aaron did not answer the question at once. Instead, he turned to Moses. "Show them the miracle of God."