Chapter 4: Horus

Day 1

Accompanied by Anhur, Anat and some soldiers, Horus arrived at Serket's temple. The goddess' place of worship was located at the northernmost of the continent, constructed right in front of a trench almost the same height as Horus' new statue. The temple structure was just like any other temples spread in the domain of Egypt. The only blatant difference was a large scorpion statue placed on the roof, surrounded by four plinths with dark green flames lit on its surface. Horus stepped out from his chariot and headed to the temple, followed immediately by Anhur and Anat.

Two males and two females knelt down before the stairs into the temple; their foreheads and arms were stuck onto the ground. They were not aware of the presence of Horus and the others, as the magic to separate the gods and the humans had been cast a long time ago by The Great Pesedjet – the nine major gods of Egypt. Right now, the only god's presence they were experiencing was only Serket herself, as the flames on the plinth were originally red. Once Serket had arrived and agreed to cure the patients brought to her altar, then the flames would instantly turn into dark green.

Across the hall was Serket and two of her servants. The servants were holding a plate, and Serket's palms were facing its surface. From the left plate the goddess absorbed blue ashes into her palm, while from the right plate the goddess absorbed yellow ashes. She then rubbed her palms against each other, before eventually placing both of them on the chest of a boy and a girl. After she cast the magic spell, the two kids woke up in no time.

The boy and the girl hurriedly went to the temple exit. They walked through Serket, Horus and the others, as the separation magic also made them unable to make physical contact with a god. The two males and females instantly cried in joy and hugged the two kids. The two families then walked to their camels, packed their stuff and left the temple at once.

"These families are traders who keep traveling from Egypt to other kingdoms and cities," Serket said as soon as she stood five steps away from Horus and the group. "Their kids were playing with each other when a snake bit the boy, while a scorpion stung the girl. Thankfully they were brought to me just in time. Late for a little while only, they would have crossed into Duat."

"You've served your role perfectly, Serket," Horus said as he took off his falcon helmet.

Serket looked towards Anhur and Anat. "If you came here with your mother Lady Isis, then most likely you or your mother would like to discuss a certain disease," she said. "But the fact that you are with Anhur and Anat, I surely couldn't figure out your purpose for coming here."

Anhur took off his lion-head helmet. "We received a threat yesterday. Yahweh wants us to free His people."

"Yahweh?" Serket responded incredulously. "The God that brought The Hebrews into our land?"

"You are correct," Horus said. "I and several others, including Anhur and Anat, have decided to fight back for these slaves."

"You want to fight Yahweh?" Serket responded incredulously. "Did you still remember how He made the lands infertile and lacked water?"

"That will never be gone from my memories."

"Yahweh's power made us unable to fix the situation," Serket said. "Now you're all planning to actively combat against Him?"

"We're here for your pet's venom," Anat suddenly stepped forward.

"My pet's venom?" Serket frowned. "Do you mean the venom belonged to Deathstalker?"

"You're right," Anat said. "A great war between us and Yahweh is imminent," she continued; at the same time she pulled out an arrow from the quiver across her back. Eyeing it, she said, "As you have known, it will be much easier to defeat any gods by utilizing Deathstalker's venom. That's why we came here to collect them."

"You do know Yahweh cannot be killed by anything."

"But His angels can," Anat said.

"It will just provoke Yahweh further if you brutally kill His angels."

"It's Him who provoked us earlier," Horus said. "I don't care if you are terrified of Him. Just give us the venom, and we'll be on our way."

"I am terrified of Yahweh," Serket admitted. "But since I also don't wish to be your enemy, I will try to fulfill your request."

Serket raised up her head and chanted a spell. Piles of mud then fell to the floor behind Serket; it was like rain dripping from the sky to the ground. When there were no more muds falling from the ceiling, the piles on the floor slowly molded into a large scorpion, similar to the decoration above the roof, or to the one produced by Apophis. Soon after, it already moved like a normal small scorpion spread across the desert.

"I apologize for disturbing your slumber, Deathstalker," Serket said as she rubbed the creature's head. "I need your help now."

Serket stepped backward. She extended her right arm and unclenched her fist. A thin jar with a scorpion head as its cap materialized above her hand. Once it had turned solid, she removed the cap. Deathstalker then lowered her tail; its tip floating above the jar hole. Smokes later came out from the tip and went into the hole. However, all of a sudden, the tail stopped producing the smoke, although the jar itself was not full yet. Serket promptly put her hand on the creature's head and once again communicated with her.

"She couldn't produce venom anymore," Serket said as she rubbed Deathstalker's head.

"Couldn't produce venom anymore?" Anat confusedly responded.

"Why can't she produce anymore?" Horus asked.

"She felt the hesitation in me," Serket said.

"Hesitation?" Horus responded. "I still don't get it."

"I really don't want to become Yahweh's enemy," Serket said. "Apparently, Deathstalker felt this hesitation. As she is connected to me, she is unwilling to do what makes me uneasy."

"Is there anything you can do?" Anat asked.

"As long as I still have the hesitation, there is nothing I can do. And if you're wondering, I cannot do anything to fabricate my feelings."

Serket turned to Deathstalker and spoke to her again. The creature raised up her tail, making it return to the original position. Serket then faced the others again and handed the jar to Anat.

"I wish you good luck," she said after Anat grabbed the jar. She then turned around and walked back to where she came from, along with her servants and the creature.

"There's nothing else we can do now," Anhur said after the three of them exited the temple. "We can only utilize what we have now."

"Assessing from the venom in the jar, I estimated we could make at least a hundred and sixty arrows," Anat said.

"That should be good already," Horus said. "Let's return to Pi-Ramses now."