Chapter 22: Horus

Day 35 (Afternoon)

Getting off from the chariot, Hathor immediately approached the cow closest to the vehicle; she then knelt on the ground and rubbed its head. Intending to give her time to mourn, Horus walked away from her. He headed straight to Hapi, who was conversing with Sobek.

"My Lord Horus," Hapi and Sobek bowed their heads.

"So the dirt of Lorb Geb was the cause of this disaster," Horus said as he observed the surroundings.

"It is, my Lord," Hapi confirmed.

"The question is, what did Yahweh do to make the dirt so lethal to the cattle?"

"I cast the spell to detect the disease, and the result was their organs either shrunk or rotten," Sobek said.

"Either shrunk or rotten," Horus repeated. "So in conclusion, the dirt went into their body and made their organs defect."

"Yes, my Lord," Sobek said.

Suddenly, there was a muffled sound of something tossed away to the ground. The three gods' turned to where it originated.

"We lost a lot and the gods haven't helped us yet!" a young man exclaimed; a rock the size of a sheep's head laid near his right ankle.

"Don't you ever dare to look down on the gods!" the older man kneeling beside him replied.

"You're just like mom or other conservative elders," the young man shook his head.

"You young people never showed gratitude to the generosity of the gods," the old man said. "If you're not careful, then you will receive the same judgment as the past king Akhenaten."

The young man sighed, but he did not seem to feel afraid of the threat. As Horus had directly witnessed how Akhenaten was consumed slowly and steadily by Ammit, despite how he was displeased with this young man for his sin, he still hoped that the mortal would eventually do more good things for the judgment day.

"Why didn't Lord Ramses kill Moses and his brother?" the young man asked as he sat on the ground.

"Do not question the king's decision, or else you will be beheaded," the old man said.

"It's useless to convey any opinion to you," the young man said as he got up to his feet. "I want to go to my friend's field. If there's something I can do there, I will help him."

As the young man left, Horus turned to everyone. "I'd like to check on Ramses now."

"What are you planning to do?" Sobek asked.

"I'm still having so many possibilities in my head," Horus admitted. "In order not to confuse you or spread misunderstanding, I shall keep them with me until I'm convinced which I should pick."

"It would be more prudent to do that," Hapi said. "I should also leave to bless the farmers now. They have lost their cattle, so it would be much better if they don't lose their crops too."

"I also have to leave, as some traders have given me offerings for their safety in the river," Sobek said.

"Be on your way and bless our people," Horus said."Hopefully with this, they're still aware that we're still with them."

Hapi and Sobek bowed down. After both left and took a separated path, Horus approached Hathor. She was now sitting inside the chariot again.

"I'm going to see Ramses now," Horus said. "You should just return to Aaru and take some rest."

"Indeed I have to take some rest, my Lord," Hathor said. "Please forgive my rudeness for not accompanying you."

"There's nothing to forgive if you didn't make any mistakes," Horus said; he then ordered the chariot rider to leave. Once they had submerged, he leaped and dashed straight to Ramses' palace.

*****

The moment Horus arrived at the palace, Ramses was gathering all his wives and adult children in his private hall. Ramses himself had already been sitting at the throne; standing beside him was the crown prince Amun-her-khepeshef. Horus decided to just wait to see what the human king was currently thinking to convey.

"Our people are questioning about this new disaster," Nefertari said as soon as the last person entered the room. "Are you bringing us here to talk about it?"

"No," Ramses said as he leaned forward. "What I'm going to say now is something entirely different."

"What is it?" Nefertari asked.

Ramses' eyes trailed from the first queen to the others before he started speaking again. "I believe all of you have been wondering why I'm so persistent in keeping these wretched slaves."

"We never do that, my Lord," Meritamen, one of the queens, stepped forward.

"SILENCE!" Ramses smashed the right armrest; shocking everyone there. "I KNOW YOU'VE BEEN TALKING BEHIND ME ALL THIS TIME, SAYING I'M STUPID BECAUSE I'M PERSISTENT IN KEEPING THE HEBREWS!"

"RAMSES!" Nefertari raised her tone. "YOU DO NOT GET TO BE ANGRY AT THIS TIME!"

Ramses looked back at Nefertari. His breathing rhythm was still quick and his stare was still sharp, but he did not say anything. Horus did not find it odd as Nefertari, also with Isonofret, were the two wives Ramses regularly listened to.

"Tell us now what is inside your head," Isonofret said as she stepped forward; she was standing side by side with Nefertari.

Ramses glanced away to the armrest he smashed. He then took a deep breath. "I was dragged by Lord Geb to Duat."

Upon hearing that confession, everyone but Horus was surprised.

"Dragged by Lord Geb to Duat?" Nefertari asked. "What do you mean by that?"

"Remember the day when I said I was having a nightmare being chased by the demons?" Ramses asked.

"Surely I won't forget about that, as you bathed in sweat and could not sleep for three days straight," Nefertari said.

"On that day, my spirit was actually dragged by Lord Geb to Duat, as I've been planning to release the slaves," Ramses said. "Apparently Lord Geb was displeased with it, because he had commanded me not to do it."

"Don't tell me you're being chased by the demons was actually real," Isonofret said.

"It is real," Ramses confirmed. "That's why I was so persistent in keeping the slaves here, despite every disaster that has ravaged our land."

"You're terrified Lord Geb will bring you to Duat again," Isonofret said.

Ramses nodded, but said nothing.

"Based on Lord Osiris' rule, it is forbidden to drag a living human into Duat," Nefertari said. "I want to believe Lord Horus as the king of the gods and Lord Osiris as the ruler of The Underworld have already warned Geb not to repeat such an action."

Ramses leaned backward and placed his elbows on the armrest. Wrapping his fingers, he rested his chin on the back of his right hand. "I wouldn't dare to take any risk."

"I suggest you just pray to The Great Pesedjet and ask for another audience with them," Isonofret said. "You shall describe everything and beg Lord Horus to help you."

"I believe Lord Horus will help me if I beg him," Ramses said as he stood up. "But I still don't want to take any risk," he continued, then he walked towards the gate.

"Open the gate!" Ramses exclaimed, followed by the gates dragged open by the soldiers. Looking over his shoulder, he said, "I would never change my mind."

As soon as the human king exited and the gates were being shut again, there was only one thing popped up in Horus' head.

I shall command Ramses to release The Hebrews.