47

Jungkook's pov:

Her face remains mostly neutral with barely noticeable furrow of her brows and a slight tremble of her lips. But no matter how hard she tried to hold it all in, the warm tear ran down her cheek. It made the negative emotions inside me peak to the point, I felt the pressure behind that tear weigh me down.

Above the grief and sadness in those pretty eyes, an emotion brims with such intensity that it makes me feel weak in the knees. Guilt.

I don't care how many spectators are present in our surroundings as I move towards her and cup her cheeks.
"No." I speak firmly. I know exactly whats going on in her mind, so I need to make her stop thinking. She doesn't meet my eyes and blankly stares into my chest. "Just no." I give a gentle yet firm shake to her face trying to make her snap our of it. "Stop thinking about it, Y/N."

When she finally looks at me, I realise its too late. She has already reached the peak where her overthinking has consumed and taken over her rational sense of decision making. She can no longer differentiate between whats right and whats wrong. "Its all because of me." The words hardly leave her mouth as if she is struggling hard mentally. "I'm the problem, Jungkook." There is no uncertainty in her voice, its a declaration.

"No, you are not and you know it, Y/N." I feel helpless because the look in her eyes doesn't change at all. I back away from her a little and stand quietly. I don't know what to do. We were so engrossed that we didn't realise we were alone. Everyone from earlier was gone and I was a little thankful for that. I, as an entity, shouldn't be displaying my emotions like that, on my sleeve, letting people know I too could be vulnerable. Same goes for Y/N.

"W-was it really him?" She looks at me with a spark of hope behind those eyes filled with despair. "Did he really ask for me in return of freeing your men?" That hope soon dies down when I dont give her any sort of confirmation.

Even though I hate how her trust for him is still there somewhere, I can't help but feel sorrow for her. I know what it feels like when a person you idolise turns out to be completely different than what you thought they were. It breaks you, it makes you question everything, even your existence.

She subtly nods her head, maybe in acceptance, looking so vulnerable. In that moment, I realise it wasn't me he was targeting. He knew all along what he was doing. All the things that went down today, their only purpose was to plant a doubt in Y/N's head. It was to break her confidence and esteem so she just gives in to everything herself. He knows her very well. He also knows that she wont be able to live with the guilt. The guilt of living freely at the expense of someone else's death. She wouldn't be able to live with that. It would eat her alive till there is just the body left behind.

If there is a possibility that she willingly agrees to this deal, it would truly throw me into a turmoil. Obviously, I wouldn't let her go but standing strong against her would drain me out completely. I can fight anyone in the world without breaking a sweat but it will tear me apart if its her standing against me. It wouldn't even matter if I lose or win, a piece of me will get defeated in both scenarios.

She begins to speak but I cut her off, fearing the worst. "Don't say anything." My chest feels heavy as it painfully contracts.

"It is the only way." She speaks very softly, like she has come to terms with the fact she'd be the sacrifice that stops bloodshed from happening. I've never seen her so dull. She is always so full of life, so vibrant that even my boring and messed up life felt like it was worth living, only if she lived it with me.

But it also angers me. Does she think nothing of me? I am more than capable to protect her along with the kingdom. I've proved myself over and over again that it feels like a slap to the face she doesn't even want to confide in me. She just simply assumes Taehyung's threat is big enough to shatter everything we've ever stood for.