34

Author's pov:

The chilling morning breeze blew past Y/N, taking the laziness from heavy sleeping along with it. The uniform she wore was uncomfortable and most importantly, very heavy. Just moving around in it felt like a workout. The sun was nowhere to be found, giving an illusion of dawn.

At sharp five thirty in the morning, Jimin already stood on a platform in the training grounds, waiting. The field was spread over a large area. Weapons, training equipments, weights were arranged in separate columns.

He stood tall with arms crossed behind his back when his eyes fell on Y/N stumbling on her own foot and trying to jog in the steel armour. When she saw Jimin already there, she made a run for it.
"My apologies. I won't be late the next time." Trying to stabilize her ragged breath, she bent and held onto her knees.

"There won't be a next time if you repeat the same mistake." He observed her. Looking up, Y/N was taken aback by his strict demeanour and cold eyes. He looked like a hawk, eyes sharpened down on her.

"I'll be careful."

He stepped down from the platform. "Why do you think he chose me to train you when he could do it himself?"

"You're a good teacher?"

"He would let you slack off." Walking closer, he stood a foot away from her. "I won't." Y/N gulped.
What did I get myself into?

"The moment you step into the field, you're a student, not the future queen, not a fragile girl with no experience but a determined student." She nodded her head firmly in agreement.

Jimin stepped away. "Remove the armour. You're not fit to fight just yet." Y/N was embarrassed at the fact she got offended by a very true statement. Quickly pulling the armour over her head, she stood in the basic uniform, instantly feeling the cold wind pricking into her skin. "Lets start with a basic talk. Hm. What is the most important thing in a fight?"

Y/N sucked her inner cheek, thinking. "Technique."

"Wrong." Her shoulders dropped. "Mindset is the correct answer. Every single soldier here is taught the technique. Why only a few of them turn out to be the best?-"

"Practice!" She enthusiastically cut in. A glare from him and her mouth was shut.

"We practice for atleast five to six years before joining the forces. Practice is crucial but not the key. If you don't have the drive, the hunger, the mindset to conquer, you'll be standing amongst the average." He pulls out a cloth from his pocket and stands infront of her, ushering her to lift up her hands. "First and the foremost lesson- What is your reason to fight?" He wraps a cloth around both her palms, covering her knuckles and a small portion of the wrist.

Closing her hand and forming a fist, she stared at the cloth tightly wrapped around it.

"After every two laps, fifty punches on that bag. Keep doing it till you reach the count of thirty laps. You slack, start again. Stop in the tracks, start again. No power in the punches, start again." Y/N looked around the field with wide eyes. It was enormous.
How can I cover that? I'll probably faint in the first lap.
"Maximum time limit is till eight. The others will come by then."

"Drink that jar of water before starting." She looked back at him with a pleading face. What about a warmup? Or stretching exercise? I'm getting cramps just by thinking about it..

His face was devoid of sympathy. "When you start thinking you can't do it, you really can't do it." He sighed and scratched his temple. "Before finding your reason to fight, change that mindset of yours. Thats your lesson for today."