3

Author's pov:

The sun was yet to rise, a thin layer of fog covered the surroundings.

The king is not only a person who Upholds the crown but the one who represents the people's needs, a mirror to their devotion. He should never appear weak for there awaits vultures and snakes to bite and choke him into suffocation.
A smile is also a sign of weakness.

He never smiled, especially after the passing of his father. There was no reason to smile anymore but there were reasons to harden and become ruthless.
Sometimes, to keep someone out of dirt one has to get dirty himself.

Jeon Soobin, the only person left in his life to protect out of love not out of responsibility. He'll go to any extent to make sure of his safety.

A sigh escaped his dry lips as he kneeled down infront of the grave. No one shall witness an emperor kneeling, so he used to sneak out of his own palace to have some alone time with his father. At the moment, he wasn't the king, he was just a son who miserably missed the presence of a father yet never voiced out his feelings.

"I hope you're alright father." After minutes of thinking, he came up with the best he could. Taking in another tired sigh, Jungkook pursed his lips.
"I wish you were here to guide me through all this. I feel alone." He waited, as if magically a deep husky voice belonging to his father would speak any moment.
"But don't worry, I won't allow it to be a setback. I'll work hard and make you proud."

"He always was proud of you." He did not have to turn around to see who it was. The woman slowly walked near the grave and stood behind him." You know that, right?"

"I didn't do anything except being his son, Ma." He got back onto his feet and bowed deeply in respect for the previous ruler.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Jungkook." her voice carried a weight, weight of burdens.

"You shouldn't be here, its chilly in the morning." He turned around and spoke, completely ignoring the statement made by the woman.

"Its the only place I can find you. Otherwise, I don't get to see your face throughout the day." she smiled at him.

"Did mother restrict you again?" his eyebrows dipped down, a sudden coldness clouding his eyes.

"No. She despises me and would rather choose to eat burnt bread than talk to me." she chuckled causing the scrunch in his face to fade.

"The palace is yours as much as it is her's. You can roam about freely and no one will question you. I'll make sure of that." his words held utmost sincerity.

"Why are you so nice to me?" the question made the atmosphere around them a bit tense. Many unwanted memories resurfaced making him blink away, shutting the dam out.

"Because father loved you." he whispered softly." And I see why." his lips twitched as he tried his best to break into a smile but couldn't. So, he simply nodded before walking away from the frozen frame of the woman who was more of a mother figure to him than his own biological one.

***

Jungkook's pov:

"How long before I begin the travel?" I asked to my advisor.

Han Ji ho, a very wise man who had been by my side since I was 18. Ever since my training period began he was assigned to me for us to coordinate better. He was smart and gave me reasonable advices  but the man was a scaredy cat. I don't remember a single time he did not flinch whenever I called him. Upon asking the reason, he said he was too afraid to give a wrong opinion which could either lead to destruction of the kingdom or being beheaded by me.
Did I mention, he always keeps on fixing his glasses?

" 'I'? Your Highness, Do you wish to go alone?" He asked, concerned.

"Is that a problem?"

"Its just that you haven't been outside the palace for a long time. I do not question your skills in any way but I feel like it would be better if I go with you." He fixed his glasses again. It was a habit that irked me in the beginning but now it has become a habit to see him do that. It would be more weird if he doesn't do it.

"I see. Fine then, you'll come with me." I see his face brighten up. No matter what type of personality he has, I do know one thing about him- he's loyal to me.

"Your Highness, your mother wishes to see you." A guard standing out side the door to my sitting space announced. My mood dropped various degrees.

"Send her in."

"I still am the queen till your king does not bring his own. How dare an insolent guard regard me informally?" I heard her spewing from outside." Do you know the punishment of dis-"

"The moment I was crowned as the King the title of queen was taken from you, mother." I said, opening the door and making a hard eye contact with her." If you wish to talk to me then please proceed. I'm busy, otherwise." Her eyes flashed with humiliation. Gritting her teeth she swallowed back any comebacks  or insults knowing the consequences very well.

She glared at the guard one last time before stepping inside the room. I followed behind and sat on my previous seat.
"I heard you'll be leaving the palace." She sat across me with hands clasped on her lap and back straight. She continued when I nodded." While you stay away from the palace I volunteer to take cha-"

"Don't bother. I have already chosen the person who'll look after the working of the palace while I'm away." My mother has always seeked power. Its not bad to yearn for it but its definitely bad to forget the difference between right and wrong while trying to reach it. Leaving the palace in her hands would lead to disasters.

"And who might that be?" She again suppressed the fury rising in her veins that reflected clearly in her eyes.

"Park Jimin."

"That commander? Who will train the army if he-"

"He is quite the multitasker. If you have any queries or questions as to why he is being assigned to this role, please write them down and give them to Ji ho. He'll provide you with satisfactory answers." I heard Ji ho clearing his throat behind me. I did not mean to sound sarcastic if thats how it came out.

"Sometimes I wonder, was it a good decision to let you take over so soon?" She threw daggers at me with those sharp eyes.

"My crowning wasn't your decision to make in the first place, mother and I think you had your fair share of ruling period. Even though it didn't bring about any change in the kingdom." I mumbled the last part but judging by her reaction, she heard it very clearly. Before she started another verbal war between us, I spoke." If you'll excuse me, I have to get ready for my departure. I'll be sure to bring something for you when I return." 

***

Author: Please do vote and comment your thoughts. If you can, please share my book 😅.