Chapter 60 - Letters

~part II of four-part update~

Only two days before Christmas, George sat at the desk in he and Fred's room, writing out the list of ingredients for the Fever Fudge they had recently perfected.

The day prior, they had tricked Ron and Harry into trying it. And for nearly twelve hours after, both boys had maintained above a 38-degree fever all whilst feeling no additional symptoms. Now, he and Fred just needed to tally up the total cost of a batch before figuring a percentage of profits.

As he scribbled a line through a misspelt word—honestly, how had he even thought there was an 'N' in 'chocolate'?—the sound of fast, heavy footsteps stomped up the stairs.

George looked towards the door.

The footsteps passed, then started up the next flight, the noise finally cutting off with the sound of Ginny's door slamming.

"Ginevra Weasley!" Mum shrieked from downstairs.

"Young lady, that is no way to treat your mother!" Dad shouted. "You come back down here and apologize!"

Ginny's door swung back open, the hinges screeching.

"NO!" she screamed, her voice carrying throughout the house. "You've ruined everything!"

Mum gasped, the sound easy to hear even through George's closed door.

"Get down here NOW!" Dad yelled.

The stomping returned. This time, a chorus of sniffles accompanied it.

George stood, crossing the short distance to the door and pulling it open. He only caught a glimpse of his sister's red hair as she descended the final staircase before she disappeared into the sitting room.

Across the narrow corridor, Fred poked his head out of the bathroom, his hair still dripping from his shower. Both brothers frowned at one another in their shared confusion.

"Just tell me why!" Ginny was sobbing. "It isn't fair—"

"You know very well why, Ginny dear," Mum said. "It wouldn't be right—"

"It's because she's a girl, isn't it?" Ginny spat.

"That is not the case, Ginevra," Dad sighed. "You know we would not do that—"

"Then tell me why!"

"Because," Mum hissed, "I will not have another one of those girls getting involved with my family. All of you are to stay away from them—"

"But Mum—"

"That is enough, Ginny."

"Dad," Ginny cried, "please talk to her!"

"I'm sorry, Gin," Dad said quietly. "But your mother's right. You'll have to find another date—"

"But I don't want another date! I want to go with Hestia—!"

George felt his eyebrows raise. Fred's expression mirrored his, the two of them glancing back at one another.

"Absolutely not," Mum said harshly. "Those Carrow girls will no longer have any connection with this family, and that is final."

"Then, why did you write that letter to Jolie?" Ginny shrieked, her voice quavering.

George froze.

"I don't—Ginny, that isn't—" Mum sputtered.