Chapter 44 - Relentless

a/n hiiii!! DOUBLE UPDATE! enjoy :)

~*~

Lee Jordan would definitely describe himself as a simple sort of bloke; relaxed, easy going, all around just happy to be here—wherever that may be.

He sometimes had his moments, yes. But, didn't everyone?

Altogether, he was pretty laid back. Modest, and straightforward when necessary. He wasn't one to judge (too often). Especially not his friends.

But, as he listened to George tell the story of he and Jolie's recent breakup to Alicia, Katie, and Angelina for the first time, Lee decided that now was definitely one of those times that was within reason for him to be a little judgy.

Because, contrary to what George was saying, Lee knew three things with absolute certainty:

1. George was actually still extremely upset about the breakup.

2. The decision had most definitely not been mutual.

And finally...

3. George was a total fucking idiot.

"So," George sighed heavily, finishing off the story and shrugging with feigned nonchalance, "we just decided to end it then. That's what happened—not much else to tell."

Katie and Alicia sat against the end posts of George's bed whilst Angelina and Fred sat upon Lee's. And leaning against the headboard of his four poster, George seemed to bask in the echoing sympathy from the others. The git.

With dinner beginning in just a few minutes, Lee decided not to say anything to refute this preposterous claim—not now, anyway. Not in front of... well, everyone.

But what complete and utter rubbish!

As Angelina asked another question and George gave some stilted answer—or lie, rather—about how he shouldn't be 'all that upset' considering how 'terribly' Jolie had often treated him, Alicia reached out and squeezed his shin, one of his long legs already outstretched towards her.

"Still," she breathed, "George, I'm so sorry."

Katie nodded. "Really, it's terrible. I thought you two were so sweet together."

Alicia let go of his leg, looking over at Katie with surprise. "Clearly not! All this time, Carrow was just stirring up arguments, and none of us had any clue."

George exhaled another long, strenuous sigh. "I don't think she meant to—it's just who she is, you know?"

Katie gave him a sympathetic pout. "I'm sorry, George."

He shrugged.

Angelina shook her head. "I'm just in shock, you know? I mean, I knew the girl had some fire in her, but I didn't expect Carrow to be so..."

"Cruel?" Alicia supplied.

Angelina winced but nodded.

"She is in Slytherin," Fred pointed out. "Suppose we've all had to learn the hard way that those snakes are all one in the same."

George said nothing.

Lee's throat worked to swallow down his ire.

It was Tuesday. Meaning only three full days had passed since Jolie had broken up with George. And, just yesterday, the news of their split had become known gossip throughout the whole school. Including the rest of the Gryffindor quidditch team.