Part 3: Chapter 18 & 19

Start from the beginning

The passage ended in a shallow cave overlooking the mountain range below. The sun was rising in the east, which was also the direction of the rainforest. But the forest with the scavenger was to the west.
'Do I have time? What if Scarlet gets to the rainforest before I do?'

"So. Care to tell me your plan to potentially end the war and save all of Pyrrhia?" Stormcaller said with a yawn. For a moment, Sunny forgot about Scarlet and thought of something else. She thought about what Stormcaller would do, be ominous and not explain things until later.
"I'll tell you when we get there," she said with a smirk. Stormcaller blinked at her her before slightly smirking and letting out a small laugh.
"All right, all right," he said. "Where are we going?"

Sunny smiled more, leaning forward. "You'll find out when we get there," she said quickly and plummeted down the mountainside, soaring west toward the scavenger ruins and, she hoped, the missing treasure.

* * *

The burnt village was easy to spot from the air; a dark gash, stark and black against the surrounding greenery. Sunny spiraled toward it, studying the tress with her sharp eyes and looking for any movement that might be scavenger.
Stormcaller also became visibly irritated when they spotted the village.

There was nothing so far, but it was late afternoon and Sunny wasn't even sure whether scavengers were normally nocturnal or preferred the day.

She landed lightly in a cloud of ash the smelled like a wood fire. Stormcaller inhaled deeply through his nose when he landed, a strange mix of emotions glinted through his eyes when he did. The ruins were still and deserted, and sunny wondered uneasily if she had been wrong. What if the scavenger wasn't here? or what if she'd been here but was now gone, and Sunny had missed her?
'Think positive.'

"Why are we here?" Stormcaller growled softly.
"I was dream visited by a scavenger last night." Sunny explained what she had seen in her dream and what her plan was as they paced the perimeter of the den, searching every structure with even half a wall standing. Every noise made her freeze and listen, her head cocked to the side, but it was always squirrels or other nearby little creatures, or Stormcaller, who would purposely knock down parts of the already ruined dens.

Sunny sat down on the old bell platform, eating a mouse she had caught. She offered to catch one for Stormcaller, but he declined. He hadn't said much since arriving here.

Well. There was no one here now, but that didn't mean she should give up. Maybe the scavenger would return later. Except she probably wouldn't if she spotted two dragons prowling through the ruins, especially a really grumpy and potentially dangerous looking one . . . but then again, if she'd stolen the treasure from the SandWings, that meant she had to be fairly bold and reasonably stupid.
Still, Sunny decided to hide, and convinced Stormcaller to do the same, just in case.

She found a tree with thick, overlapping leaves and wide branches and settled into the crook of the trunk, keeping a sharp eye on the burnt village. Stormcaller doing the same, but on a different branch. From here they had a good view of most of it, and they spent the rest of the day watching and waiting.

By nightfall, as one of the moons climbed cheerily up the sky, Sunny had begun to doubt herself again. 'We should just go. We don't have time to sit here - I have to get my friends in the rainforest. Besides, if she comes during the night, only Stormcaller will able to see her. I won't be any help.'

She dug her claws into the bark, forcing herself to be patient. If the Eye of Onyx was nearby, it was worth waiting for. Once she had that, she'd have a way to end the war.
'Which won't stop Scarlet from wanting to kill us, of course.'