8.9 A Hero's Legacy

Hank Pym tried for weeks to find any way to bring Y/N back. He went through old plans and tried using new devices. Nothing worked. There was just no way of locating Y/N at that scale. That was assuming he'd even survived the trip down there in the first place. They were left with nothing.

With no way to get him back, Yelena decided to hold a memorial service for her husband at their family home. All of the Avengers alongside close friends and family attended the service. In their family living room, Yelena placed down the device Y/N had dropped. She found it to be a recording device with a video he had recorded while onboard the Q-ship. Y/N's closest family members were inside, watching a digital projection of Y/N talk.

Y/N: Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back it's in celebration of everything we still have and everything we've protected. I hope people feel safe and that the planet is a haven for everyone to explore the wonders of. God, what a world. Universe, now. If you told me ten years ago that we weren't alone, much less that I'd be half an inch tall and leading an army of angry ants against these threats, I wouldn't have believed you. I mean, who knew? The epic forces of darkness and light that have come into play both on the small and large scales. And for better or worse, that's the reality Lily's gonna have to find a way to grow up in. So, I thought I'd better record a message in case of an untimely death. Most likely on my part, knowing my dumb butt. Not that death at any time isn't untimely. This Thanos guy and hearing about what he can do has got me scratching my head about the survivability of it all. Then again, that's the hero gig, right? Part of the journey is the end. So I'd like to address and give a few words to those who have really changed my life. I'll start with the ones who started it all. Scott and Cassie.

The two Langs looked up upon hearing their names mentioned.

Y/N: Uncle Scott, when I came to you, I thought I lost everything. But you made me feel like I belong somewhere. Like I was part of a family again. And you were always there for me, helping me through life. To me, you were more than an uncle. You were my other father. And Cassie, when you were born, I felt hope. Hope that my life had meaning. And bringing you home, getting to grow up with you, I now knew what I stood for. You may be my cousin, but to me, you have always been my sister.

Scott and Cassie began to tear up. They hugged each other, sad they had lost Y/N but happy by what they meant to him.

Y/N: Then, off course, the one who changed it all, Hank. You old geezer. What I wouldn't give to get chewed out by you right now.

Hank cracked a soft smile, trying to hold back tears.

Y/N: Hank, I know you. And I know you're going to blame yourself for this. But don't. This was my choice. This was not your fault. And you know what? I wouldn't change a thing. All those years ago, you could have picked anyone. But you chose me. You chose me to be the Ant-Man and to carry on that legacy. And not a day goes by where I don't regret accepting your offer. You showed me how to be a hero. Because of you, I got to find wonderful friends and be a part of a much larger universe. And I had a blast through it all. Best of all, because of you, because of being the Ant-Man, I got to meet the love of my life. And to that I say, thank you. Hank, I know you may feel like you're alone. But you're not. You have the biggest family out of anyone. Lily already looks up to you like you were her grandpa. And I look up to you as a mentor, as a friend, and as family. You are not alone.

Hank began to tear up. Scott went over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

Y/N: And off course, the two loves of my life. Yelena, my beloved Belova, my Miss American Pie. I am sorry that I have to go so soon. But you are the most wonderful and most beautiful person I have ever met. You are so fun and kind and wonderful. And you are such a great mother to our daughter. How a guy like me ended up with a girl like you is beyond me. All I know is that I have got to be the luckiest guy in the world to be the one to call you the love of my life. And I have adored the years we've spent together. I will always be your kroshechnyy chelovek (tiny man).