2.9 A Promise

Loki pulled himself up from the floor that he'd been laying in for the past forty minutes. He groaned in pain as he grabbed a nearby step to sturdy himself. Hearing movement behind him, he laid on his back and turned around. He was met by all six of the Avengers looking down at him. They all had scowls on their faces.

Loki: I am sure if you'll allow me to explain myself, we can come to a mutual agreement.

A few days later, the city of New York was in its rebuilding process. Damage crews were disposing of the Chitauri army and construction teams were hard at work rebuilding what was destroyed. Citizens held up fliers and made memorials in dedication to the ones lost in the attack. News medias all across the globe were laser focused on the event. It was all anyone could talk about for a while.

News anchor: Despite the devastation of what has been confirmed as an extraterrestrial attack, the extraordinary heroics of the group known as 'The Avengers' has been to many a cause not only for comfort, but for celebration.

Citizen: It's really great knowing they're out there. That someone is watching over us.

Woman: I love you, Thor!

Kid: And then Spider-Man was like "pew, pew" and this big guy came up and punched one of those things right in the jaw and it went "roar." 

Concerned citizen: I don't exactly feel safer with those things out there. It just seems that there's a lot they're not telling us.

Stan Lee: Superheroes in New York? Give me a break. 

Senator: These so called "heroes" have to be held responsible for the destruction done to this city

Senator: These so called "heroes" have to be held responsible for the destruction done to this city. This was their fight. Where are they now?

Woman: What, this is all somehow their fault? Captain Carter saved my life. And my sister over here was saved by the Ant-Man. Wherever either of them all, or rather all of them, I would just... I would want to say thank you.

Nick Fury was watching the news reports on a set of screens. He then turned to acknowledged the Council who were also displayed on large screens.

Councilman: Where are the Avengers?

Fury: I'm not currently tracking their whereabouts. I'd say they've earned a leave of absence.

Councilwoman: And the tesseract?

Fury: The tesseract is where it belongs. Out of our reach.

Councilman: That's not your call.

Fury: I didn't make it. I just didn't argue with the god that did.

Councilman: So, you let him take it and the war criminal, Loki, who should be answering for his crime.