Chapter 39

2 weeks later

I stared at my reflection in the bedroom mirror and sighed. "What do you think?" Isabelle was sitting on the bed, watching me. "I think it's too much" I ran my hands over the bows "far too much. In fact, it's an overkill".

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing" Isabelle raised an eyebrow at me. "Bad thing" I said it like it was obvious. It kinda was. I was standing there in a light blue dress covered in bows, ruffles and lace. Isabelle had called it a 'Lolita Dress'.

"I think you look adorable" Isabelle grinned.

"Yeah, if I were a Barbie doll! I'm telling you, Iz, it's too much!" I argued.

"Jess, you have zero sense of style!" Isabelle pouted.

"Iz, I'm not going to a tea party. This is far more important! If I wear this, I'll be the laughing stock of the town for years" I ran my hands, once again, over the ruffles.

"Well your not wearing your jeans" Isabelle pouted even more.

"Watch me" I walked over to the chest of drawers and pulled out a new pair of ripped skinny jeans.

"Jess, those don't even LOOK formal!" Isabelle groaned, snatching them away and looking at them "It's like you don't want to look beautiful in front of everyone!" She threw them away like they were a slimy piece of rubbish.

I stared at the dress in the mirror. It was blue, baby blue. It was covered in lace, ruffles and bows. Layers of it. There was a small overcoat of the same baby blue and a little blue bow to go in my hair.

"What I DON'T want, Isabelle, is to look like a fairy!" I started pulling the dress off.

"There's a zip, dumbass" she went around to the back and unzipped my dress. It felt like I could breathe again, the tightness of the upper half of the dress was now relieved.

"At least don't break it" she watched me pull it off hastily "It cost me $90!"

"Waste of money" I muttered and began to pull the jeans on.

"You can't wear jeans" groaned Isabelle,

"Try and stop me" I shot back, pulling the jeans on faster.

Isabelle walked over to my chest of drawers and began pulling out skirts, shorts and more jeans.

She eventually pulled out a pair of shorts.

"how about these?" she asked. The shorts were a faded light brown and folded at the leg holes.

I stared at them and sighed.

"Fine" I snatched them away "I'll wear the shorts! Anything to not wear... That" I looked at the dress.

"It was the perfect occasion dress" she smiled.

"Yeah" My voice dripped with sarcasm "for someone who wants to lose all their dignity and have the name 'Baby princess' for the rest of her life".

I shoved the shorts on while Isabelle found a shirt.

"it's got that camouflage pattern on it" she smiled, staring at the singlet "this would totally suit".

"Yeah right" I searched through my drawers but found nothing better. I gave up and put the shirt on.

"I look like a forest ranger" I groaned.

Isabelle giggled "My dress is still up for offer"

"so are my jeans" I made a grabbed for them.

In the end, I walked out wearing my jeans and the shirt Isabelle had chosen.

Felix was leaning agains the wall, talking to Spike. When I walked in he looked at me up and down.