10: I Can't Think Of A Chapter Title So Have Some Pointless Filler

Zacznij od początku

Because Frank had to take some responsibility for his actions here, and if his mother had missed work because of him, he had to do his best to fix that, and he had to make sure she was okay - even though she really wasn't, because if Frank didn't do those things, no one would, and the delicate foundations their lives were balanced on would come crumbling down if Frank didn't hold them up.

And it was too late to run now anyway, because his mother had spotted him, dropping her mug of coffee, or tea, or whatever the fuck it was onto the tile floors where it shattered into a thousand pieces, but she didn't even notice, she was too busy wrapping Frank up in a bone crushing hug that didn't feel comforting at all, even though that was probably her intention.

"Oh baby...I thought you had left me, and I was so scared - so alone...oh god..." Linda broke off into quiet sobs as she buried her face in Frank's shirt.

"I was just at Pete's mom...I'm sorry. I should have phoned you," Frank sighed, patting his mother's back awkwardly in an attempt to soothe her as guilt twisted in his stomach angrily. Frank truly hadn't meant to upset her this much, and she had never panicked to such an extent when he had stayed out half the night before, but Frank's mother was nothing if unpredictable, and Frank knew that better than anyone.

"I don't want you going over there anymore honey, you need to stay here, stay with me...where it's safe," Linda mumbled, her tears already ebbing almost as fast as they had started.

"Mom...I - okay, I won't," Frank sighed out, because he had learned over the past two years that it was pointless to argue with her, especially when she would most likely forget about this entire conversation tomorrow.

"Good - you are such a good boy, nothing like your father." Frank shuddered slightly at the mention of his father, and the venomous tone his mother laced the word with, but his mother didn't notice Frank's averse reaction, of course she didn't.

"Did you call into work today mom?" Frank asked, desperate to change the subject away from his father, and luckily for him, it actually worked this time.

"No...but it's Saturday baby, I don't go in on the weekends - remember?" Frank's mother finally pulled away from him with a puzzled look on her face, and Frank had to suppress his groan of frustration from escaping a throat.

"No it isn't...it's Tuesday mom. Come on - let's go phone them okay?" Frank took his mother's hand gently, leading her into the kitchen and over to the landline.

"Huh...I must have lost track of the days," Linda murmured quietly before picking up the phone and dialing the number to her work.

Frank listened in on her conversation, because if he didn't, god knows if his mother would actually remember what she had been calling about in the first place. She seemed to snap back to herself though, and after some subtle nudges from Frank, she agreed to head in soon so she would only miss half of the day.

And after a few more pointless words, and meaningless promises, Frank managed to get his mother out the door, and it was only when Frank could hear her start the engine to her car that he allowed a few tears to escape down his cheeks now that he was alone once again.

He didn't let himself break down completely, he just needed to release some of the pent up anxiety inside of him so that he wouldn't snap entirely, because it was obvious to Frank that his mother's mental illness was getting worse, not better, and he had no fucking clue how long he was going to be able to keep her functioning if she couldn't even remember what day of the week it was.

Frank was worried, so fucking worried, because what was he supposed to do here; he couldn't be home twenty-four/seven, not if he wanted to keep his own job that is, but his mother made way more money than Frank did, and if she got fired, they would be evicted within a few months.