Chapter 39 - A Dying Wish

Crickets were chirping loudly as the sun slowly crested over the broad horizon. Rubble and debris was scattered all across the ground, and slightly shifted with the morning breeze. As the sun continued to rise, the sound of running footsteps closed in on the now destroyed village. Many members of the Kakushi went into the village, looking around and digging under the rubble

"Hello!? Is there anyone here?! Please call out if you can hear me!"

There was a brief silence at first, before the sound of shifting rubble caught the attention of the Kakushi member. A voice called out from under the rubble, "I'm down here!"

The one member started to dig in the rubble, trying to reach whoever was trapped underneath everything, "Are you injured?"

"No, I'm fine!" she called out, helping in trying to dig herself out from under the debris, "I wasn't injured thankfully, but I know that many people were."

Yuki finally managed to get out of the rubble with the help of the other person, before the Kakushi member spoke up, "We've found a few people who are alive, but heavily injured. What do you want us to do Lady Sunofureku?"

"Who have you guys found so far?" Yuki asked, not wanting to waste any time.

"For people who have passed, Lord Gyomei, and Lord Tokito were found dead, as well as Genya Shinazugawa according to his brother Lord Shinazugawa."

"Sanemi is alive?" she asked, looking back.

"Yes, he and Zenitsu were found together, as well as Lady Kanroji and Lord Obanai. They are both in a pretty critical condition. Do you have any other leads on the whereabouts of the others?"

"Lady Shinobu was killed during her battle against Upper Moon Two, but her Tsuguko Kanao is still alive as far as I know. Last time I saw her was right before the explosion that buried all of us."

"Understood. We'll keep searching for the others." The member said, before beginning to walk away.

"Will you take me to where Mitsuri and Iguro are? I want to see how bad their condition is."

The Kakushi member nodded, leading the way to the medical tent that had been set out to treat injured people. Once she got there, she saw that Sanemi and Zenitsu were awake, getting their injuries treated by other members of the Kakushi. Sanemi spoke up when he saw Yuki enter the room, "Glad to see you weren't one of the people who died in that battle."

"Same goes for you, Sanemi. How are your injuries doing?" she asked, lifting his arms to look over the cuts on them.

"They aren't too bad. Definitely doing better than Mitsuri and Iguro though..."

"How bad are they?"

"They're... hanging on by threads... It's not good." he admitted, pulling back the curtain to their private bay.

Mitsuri and Iguro were both heavily injured, lying unconscious on their beds. It hurt Yuki seeing her friends in such a critical condition. She gently felt their wrists for a pulse, feeling a faint one from both of them.

"I can make sure they live." Yuki said, holding her hands above both of their unconscious bodies, making her hands glow a soft blue.

"What are you doing, Yuki?" Sanemi asked, watching her curiously.

Yuki didn't say anything, continuing to channel her power. Watching as both Mitsuri and Obanai's injuries healed under the glow of her hands. Once they were fully healed, Zenitsu came over and looked at her with a gaze filled with shock, "How did you do that?!"