Chapter 29 - The Rengoku Family

Yuki and Kyojuro traveled together, enjoying the beautiful scenery as they walked to Kyojuro's home. The two talked and laughed for hours as they got closer and closer to his home. The closer they got, the more nervous Yuki became. Kyojuro had told her stories about his father, and how rash he could be. She hoped she would make a good first impression on him.

"Are you getting nervous?" Kyojuro asked, noticing her go quiet as she thought to herself.

"Is it that obvious?" she asked right back, looking back up at Kyojuro.

"I mean, you were staring off into space for a couple of minutes, almost like you were getting lost in thought."

Yuki let out a sigh as she continued to walk, "Sorry... I guess I can't help but be nervous... After all of the stories you told me about your father, I'm worried I'll make a bad first impression and he won't approve of me."

"I understand your worries, but I believe that my father will grow to enjoy your company as much as I do."

"I hope you're right..."

The two continue to walk for a bit longer, and they soon spot Kyojuro's family home just ahead of them. Its traditional Japanese style was beautiful, matching the landscape that surrounded them. The entrance was lined with Wisteria flowers to ward off any demons that dared to come close.

The two of them made their way to the door of the estate, before Kyojuro took Yuki's hand, giving it a comforting squeeze to try and calm her nerves, "Are you ready to meet my family?"

"As ready as I'll ever be..." she responded, taking a deep breath to ease herself as much as she could.

With that response, Kyojuro raised his hand to the door, giving it a few firm knocks. A few moments pass, before the door opens, revealing a younger kid who was maybe 14-15 years old. He looked like a younger version of Kyojuro.

The boy's face lit up when he saw Kyojuro, "Brother! You're back! I've missed you so much!"

Kyojuro couldn't help but smile at his younger brother, gently ruffling his hair, "I've missed you too Senjuro. I'm glad to see you in good health and good spirit!" Kyojuro glanced at Yuki, before continuing to talk to his brother, "Senjuro, I'd like to introduce you to Yuki. She's a fellow Hashira, and also my girlfriend."

Senjuro smiled at Yuki, offering her his hand to shake, "It's nice to meet you, Yuki! I've heard great things about you from Kyojuro in his letters."

Yuki chuckled at his friendly nature, gently taking his hand and shaking, "It's nice to meet you too, Senjuro. I've also heard many things about you from Kyojuro."

"Come inside you two! I've prepared some food for your arrival." Senjur said, pulling the both of them inside the family home.

Yuki looked up at Kyojuro, her gaze filled with surprise, "Did you let them know that we were coming?"

"I might have sent a crow to give them a heads up." he said with a smirk.

Yuki chuckled as they walked further into the estate, following behind Senjuro, "I should have known. You always have some sort of trick up your sleeve."

The two of them followed Senjuro into the dining room, seeing the large amount of food that Senjuro had prepared and set at the table. There were 4 plates that were set up. One for Yuki, one for Kyojuro, one for Senjuro, and one for their father, "You guys take a seat. I'll go get father and let him know you both are here." Senjuro smiled as he walked deeper into the home, going to look for his father.

Kyojuro sat down at the table, and offered Yuki the seat next to him. Yuki smiled as she sat down, but she could feel the anxiety building up in her mind again. She took a deep breath to calm herself, and felt as Kyojuro grabbed her hand and gave it a tight squeeze. He could tell she was nervous, and did his best to silently comfort her. She smiled at him, but her attention was drawn away by the two sets of footsteps coming from the hallway.