Chapter 2 - A Lethal Mistake

Yuki stood there frozen in fear, thinking she was going to be killed by the demon standing before them.

"Kori! Run!" her mother shouted, as she grabbed her nichirin blade off the wall.

Yuki was confused why her mother called her Kori, but shouted back to her, "But Mom! You'll die if you fight him!"

"I know I will, but not without a fight. Get the other Hashira! Tell them to protect Yuki at all costs!" She yelled, her voice shaking from the fear she felt, "We can't let Muzan put his filthy hands on her!"

Muzan. Why did that name sound so familiar? Yuki ran to her room, shutting the door and opening the window, making it look like she had escaped. She made sure all of the books were still in the hidden compartment, but as she closed it again, a certain book caught her attention. The book's spine had the name 'Muzan Kibutsuji' written on it. She opened it, her heart skipping a beat when she saw the illustration of the man in question. That man inside her home looked identical to the man in the photo.

She continued to read, and there was a certain passage that made her body shutter. "Muzan Kibutsuji is the lord of all demons. He is rumored to be over 10,000 years old" Yuki's hands were shaking from the fear she felt, but put the book back on the shelf where she had grabbed it from. She listened outside, hearing the intense fight between Muzan and her mother. She opened the door to her closet, tucking herself into it as far as she could to keep herself hidden.

Yuki's mother took in many deep breaths, trying to fill her lungs best she could with her injuries. Muzan looked down at her, pulling her blade out of her hand, throwing it to the floor. He grabbed her by the throat, lifting her off the floor, and making her look him in the eye. "You've put up quite the fight, but you knew you were no match against me. Your daughter will tell me everything she knows about the Blue Spider Lily, whether she likes it or not!"

As he finished, he started squeezing her neck as tight as he could. He watched as she struggled against his grip, the life in her eyes draining. He smiled, the gin full of malice as he squeezed with full force, severing her head from the rest of her body. Her blood splattered, crimson rain filling the room. He dropped the corpse he had been holding, stepping over it as he walked towards the bedroom he watched Yuki enter.

He burst the door down, pieces of it scattering across the pristine floorboards. He looked around, seeing the room lined with bookcases. He looked up, seeing that the window was open, but judging by there being nothing from the desk underneath it scattered to the floor, he knew she hadn't escaped, and was still in the room.

He pulled one of the books from the bookcase, skimming through it quickly, but finding nothing of interest. He kept pulling more and more, but he couldn't find what he was looking for in any of the books. He threw all the books to the floor, scattering pages across the rubble.

He listened for any signs of life in the bedroom, staying completely silent, but believed to not hear anything, but could hear her heartbeat coming from somewhere in the room. "I can hear your heartbeat, demon slayer," Me said, malice laced in his tone, "Come out of your hiding spot, and maybe I'll spare you the agony of getting ripped into tiny ribbons." He prowled around the room, not hearing any movement from anywhere in the room. He sighed before walking to the back of the room, hiding in the corner, "I guess she's not in here." He used his power to make it seem like he had walked out of the room, going to search for her somewhere else.

Yuki stayed in her hiding spot a little while longer, waiting to not hear his footsteps anymore. She opened up the closet, looking out to the broken down door, before stepping out into the rubble. Her eyes widened in relief seeing he had left, and started walking towards the door to make a run for it.