Chapter 11 - Receiving Hashira Status

Yuki rose from her bed as the sun began to crest over the horizon. She got up and helped Rengoku pack up the camping gear before beginning the long trek back to the Butterfly Mansion. The pair talked the entire way back, their feelings for each other only growing more.

Rengoku had seen some blue flowers on the side of the trail, and picked one. He offered it to Yuki, tucking it behind her ear. She blushed heavily as he did that, but thanked him. As he tucked the flower, he said that it was the same color as her eyes.

She continued to blush, thanking him for the compliment, as they continued their walk. The walk ended up being peaceful, even though the trail was still as rough as before. They didn't encounter any demons on their way back, making the walk nice and calm.

After a few days of walking, they finally saw the wisteria leading to the mansion's gate. Yuki was glad to be back at the place she called home, knowing she would be able to sleep in an actual bed that night. Rengoku was also glad to be back at the mansion, but he knew the surprise that would be waiting for Yuki inside.

As they walked through the gate, they were immediately greeted by Shinobu. She hugged Yuki, glad she had made it back safely from her mission with Rengoku. Shinobu looked at Shinobu during the hug, giving a nod to let him know things were ready.

Shinobu pulled out of the hug, looking at Yuki, putting a serious expression on her face, "Sorry to cut your welcome back so short, but Master Ubuyashiki wants to speak with the both of you. He says it's urgent."

Yuki looked at Shinobu, worry filling her eyes. She quietly muttered under her breath, "I hope this isn't because I went on a mission without you or Giyu..."

"Don't worry Yuki, you aren't in any trouble. He just wants to speak with you for a few minutes before you go get some rest."

"Alright. If you say so, Shinobu..." Yuki said, her nerves still not calming down.

"Yuki, everything will be fine. Remember that he asked to see me as well. You aren't going to be alone." Rengoku stated, putting a hand on her shoulder, trying to ease her.

"I'll take you guys to the meeting room. We don't want to keep the Master waiting."

Yuki was glad to have both of them coming with her, having it ease her tension slightly, but not by much. The three walked into the mansion, making their way to the meeting room. The moment Yuki reached out to grab the handle, she felt her heart begin to race.

Both Rengoku and Shinobu saw her freeze up, but Rengoku stood beside her, speaking in a relaxing tone, "Relax. It's going to be alright. We are both going in with you, so there is no need to feel anxious."

Yuki nodded, taking a deep breath as she reached for the handle again. As she opened up the door, she was immediately greeted with a large amount of clapping. She stood in shock as all of the Hashira, as well as Ubuyashiki stood inside.

"Yuki. I'm glad you could make it." Ubuyashiki spoke, a warm smile on his face.

"What's all of this for?" Yuki asked, her mind racing with all of the possibilities of what could be going on.

"You didn't tell her, did you Rengoku?" He asked, turning to the Flame Hashira.

"What can I say? I wanted this to be a pleasant surprise"

"What are you talking about Rengoku? Did I do something wrong?" Yuki questioned.

"On the contrary Yuki. You managed to kill a Lower Moon Demon on your own." Ubuyashiki said, "I thought Rengoku would have told you, but clearly I was mistaken."