Chapter 25

"I heard that!" Hilary's voice echoed back to us from behind the material door, Tanya and I burst out laughing when we saw Kai's face pale.

"One thing I learned growing up around the Rikers; was to never get on Hilary's bad side particularly when it has to do with medicine, that woman is scary." I laughed but dropped my smile at the end as a shiver went down my spine as the image of my pissed off Aunt entered my mind.

"Hey in all seriousness, thank you without you and the guys I'm not sure how that day would've gone but it certainly wouldn't have been good." His face mirrored that of his fathers as gratitude over took it. I couldn't help the smile as I heard his words.

"Nah you're all good! By the way did she give you an eta on when you should be out of here?" Tanya asked as she stood up and fixed the blanket on her side of the bed.

"A couple weeks, or until the healing chamber is operational. If they can get that up and running soon, she said it shouldn't take more than a couple of sessions to heal up enough to get back light duties." Ugh the healing chamber, it's not as peaceful as it sounds, essentially think of a coffin with a gooey liquid inside it.

This liquid is called Sanatio (Latin for: healing, cure,curing) it's a substance found in lakes of a previous world, it was discovered that when its given a constant, low conductive current it accelerates the healing process of any injury as long as you submerge the injury in it. But good lord is it gross, feels like you're laying in honey and smells like a disinfectant.

"Haha sucker, lord I hate that thing." I teased voicing my irritation at the device.
Kai made a face and then grimaced as he attempted to shift.

"Yeah well I'd take that over being stuck in this bed any day." He replied in a grumpy tone.

We continued to chat away, stupid stuff really; favourite music, books, colour etc... much like the morning before the expedition except this time Tanya joined in.
Before we knew it an hour had passed and we were now onto the matter of love interests.

"So when are you and Hunter going to get your act together?" Kai bluntly asked, Tanya didn't even bother answering before she gave me a right whack across the shoulder.

"Ouch what the hell?" I yelped as I rubbed the spot she hit, sending her glare that would phase anyone but her. She's used to them.

"You told him, how could you tell him?" She whined out of frustration.

"Haha funny as this is, she didn't need to tell me you guys are about as subtle as a nuclear bomb." Kai stated only facts causing Tanya to go redder than a tomato.

"Come on it's not really a secret, you guys are pretty much made for each other." I continued on, receiving yet another smack.

"Ouch woman quit hitting me." I demanded earning a chuckle from them both. Tanya opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted by the man of the hour.

"MAL!!! My crippled brother from another mother how ya doing bud? Oh hey girls didn't expect to see you here." Hunters voice only made Tanya's face grow redder, I'm assuming at the possibility of him hearing our previous conversation.

"Hey Hunt, I thought you were sparring with Alan and Justin?" Kai's question was one that had entered my mind as well but Kai beat me to it.

"Oh yeah I was but after getting knocked on my ass for the tenth time Colonel Jones decided to take it easy on me and told me to come check on you." Hunt laughed dragging a chair from outside the room to right beside Tanya.

"Funny he's never that lenient when I'm sparring!" I huffed as I recalled the time I fell on my ass at least a dozen times sparring with him and each time he told me to shake it off. His words from that time snuffed out the irritation I felt pretty quickly as I recalled them.