Kitty

It was two in the afternoon before Harry rolled out of bed, blinking away confusion and desperately hungry. He'd grown accustomed to the savory fragrance of fresh breakfast stirring him awake every morning, and hadn't really considered food preparation in his rushed decision to travel through time.

The curtains spread wide over a broad window, flooding the room with light, as soon as his bare feet touched the hardwood floor.

He ran a shower, stirring awake under the steaming water. After drying, he reached for the messenger bag his future self had left beside his wardrobe, retrieving a fitted black tee and a pair of tapered blue jeans. A few moments later he was descending the stairs of the large foyer, greeted warmly by his grandparents and young father.

"Dobby?"

A sharp whip-crack echoed throughout the room. Dobby was bowing deeply before Harry, donning a black three-piece, shining white oxfords, and a knit cap of a vibrant rainbow yarn.

"Good afternoon, Harry Potter! Dobby is hoping the room was to Master Potter's liking?"

"It was lovely, Dobby. A bit big, but I suppose I'll get used to it. Actually, I was wondering about lunch. I'd not even considered food when we left yesterday, but I'm quite hungry. I don't suppose the pantry's stocked, the manor being empty for so many years?"

At this, Dobby snapped. A moment later the room was filled with a cacophany of pleasant fragrances.

"Kitty and Milo is working all day on your first meal at Ravenswood Hall. Dobby is telling them of the greatness of Harry Potter - how he slayed He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, and how he rescued his friends, and how he saved Dobby! Kitty and milo is eager to impress Master Harry Potter!"

As he opened the door into the dining room, Harry Potter made efforts to restrain his laughter. A feast suitable for perhaps ten people lay before him, piping trays of cornish pasties, dsihes of shepherd's pie, bowls of bangers and mash, piles of roasted chicken beside large bowls of mashed potatoes. He ate until he couldn't eat any longer, feeling a bit embarrased about the waste."

Dobby had insisted on standing in attendance throughout. After the last sip on pumpkin juice, Harry pressed his plate away. With a snap, all the excess disappeared.

"Dobby, I was curious whether you might help me with an important task?"

Dobby shook with enthusiasm.

"I need to find Remus Lupin, but I can't risk being seen in public. There's only so much I can do with an invisibility cloak, and I haven't any stock of polyjuic potion. I was wondering whether you might be willing to search for him, and if you find him, ask him to return with you. I've been told I should find him as quickly as possible."

"Say no more, Master Harry Potter. Dobby will find and retrieve Mister Remus Lupin. Until Dobby returns, Kitty and Milo will tend to Harry Potter's every need."

***

The afternoon was spent in the library, exploring the effect of copper cauldrons on traditional potions recipes. Harry felt at home, in more ways than one, as he perused the massive library.

The significance of copper couldn't be overestimated, Harry learned after a bit of reading. Potions brewed in copper were more powerful than their pewter counterparts, but the material was much less forgiving. Precise application and manipution was requisite when operating with copper cauldrons. Several theorists suggested that intention and will were amplified when workign with copper, so the potion maste must remain in strict constrol of his state of mind throughout.

Immediately Harry began exploring the potion's lab, discovering to his chagrine that the ingredients inventories hadn't been maintained since his grandparent's passing. He vaguely recalled that his father hadn't enjoyed potions, so he wasn't terribly suprised.