Tenebrae

They decided to spend their morning in the Defense chambers. Harry had stumbled upon a threadbare, cloth-bound volume shelved high in the Potter Library, entitled Ancient, Rare and Powerful Spells. The front matter indicated it was a limited publication, funded by Gideon J. Potter, apparently Harry's great-great grandfather, in 1912.

Harry immediately realized that he'd not encountered any of these spells in his studies at Hogwarts. The book sorted the spells into broad categories, like Offense, Defense, and Utility, and detailed the pronunciation, execution, and effects of each, as well as some historical context of its creation when available. He couldn't wait to show Luna.

They decided to take turns attempting to cast each spell, while the other took notes. Luna sat leaning against the far wall on the floor, facing Harry who stood in the center of the room. She conjured her sketchbook and charcoal pencil, looked into Harry's eyes, and smirked.

"You've nothing to worry about, Harry Potter. This room is warded against nargles."

He smiled, opened the book, and turned to the first chapter.

***

Chapter One—

Ancient, Rare, and Powerful Offensive Spells

decidere (deh-kee-DEH-reh) | wand arm outstretched at waist height, wave at half speed to the opposite waist, center wand arm at penultimate syllable, rapidly lift wand arm to shoulder height, finishing pronunciation with wand pointed directly at opponent.

Effect: The spell shifts the target's center of gravity to the nearest heavy object. When executed properly by a powerful witch or wizard, the shift may be rapid enough to physically stun opponent on impact

***

The first nine attempts yielded nothing. Luna watched carefully, noticed that Harry's wand arm wasn't fully extended, then coached him verbally on the half-speed movement from waist to waist. Four attempts later, the suit of arms shuttered visibly (they both shouted with glee at this). Finally, on his eighteenth attempt, after Luna noticed he was terminating the pronunciation of the curse prematurely, Harry executed a perfect dicedere. The suit of arms slammed violently into the wall to his right, crushing the left arm under the force of the spell.

They were struck silent at the powerful display. After a moment, the suit of arms was magically restored, and Harry's expression shifted to an awestruck smile.

"This is so cool."

Harry turned to Luna, cleared the distance between them, helped her up and gave her a quick peck on the cheek. "Your turn, Luna Lovegood."

She got it in two tries, the full left side of the armor crushed completely in a raw display of sweeping power. Harry's jaw dropped, impressed and more than a little embarrassed. Feigning offense, he shouted, "Just you remember I survived a dragon."

She turned, smirked flirtatiously, stepped toward him in a sexy, confident glide. She bent over full, kissed him on the nose, and whispered, "Beginner's luck, dragon-slayer."

***

tenebrae totales (teh-NEH-brae toh-TAH-lehs) | wand arm relaxed at the waist, twist wrist at first syllable, draw wand arm to opposite side at chest height by pronunciation of third syllable. Draw wand to center, twisting wrist to point wand directly above target, outstretch arm at final syllable.

Effect: The spell covers the target in impenetrable darkness. Executed perfectly by a powerful wizard, the field of darkness may spread thirty meters on every side.