Good Morning

The distant echoes of playful laughter gently teased Harry awake several hours past dawn. After a quick shower, he threw on a fresh black tee and a pair of dark blue jeans, noting that he hadn't slept this late for at least three summers.

As he descended the stairs, the jovial banter of Harry's favorite people forced a warm smile to overtake his features. Hermione, Sirius, and Luna laughed over piping mugs of tea, piles of freshly baked pastries scattered before them.

Sirius noticed the movement as soon as Harry came into view.

"Harry! You're looking healthy — as well you should, considering the late morning." He winked.

Hermione feigned disapproval, casting a furrowed brow in Sirius' direction. "Harry's earned a long night's sleep, Sirius."

"And uninterrupted rest is such a rare thing." Luna cast a meaningful glance in Harry's direction, biting her lip flirtatiously.

Harry began to blush. "Good morning to you three. Sirius, I'm glad you made it, and I'm sorry I wasn't there to greet you. I honestly can't remember the last time I slept in like that."

He sat at the table directly next to Luna, plated a few warm croissants and some flaky babka. A piping hot mug of tea appeared just before him, prepared precisely as he preferred.

Sirius laughed. "You know, Molly's alright but this sort of service is unparalleled."

Luna reached an arm around Harry's waist. "The house elves at Hogwarts are awfully fond of Harry."

Hermione crossed her arms. "While I can't say I wholeheartedly approve of their uncompensated displays of affection, I am quite impressed by your care for Dobby, Harry. Luna and I spoke at length about the new arrangement."

For nearly an hour, they sat discussing Harry's chief-of-staff, his new home, and his recent pursuits with Luna. After a lengthy discussion of the recent defense spells they'd mastered, Sirius shifted the conversation.

"Seeing four empty mugs and four empty plates, perhaps it's time to discuss your letter. Harry, tell me why you're concerned about a dementor attack."

Harry and Luna worked together to explain the events of the last twenty-four hours. Hermione stepped in to summarize the progress they'd made, and the plan that had come together.

Sirius listened with a steady, attentive gaze, interrupting occasionally to ask brief, clarifying questions. After he was fully caught up, he nodded slowly, reflecting.

After a long moment, he spoke.

"First off, you must know that your progress in this arena is astounding. Together, your comprehension of magical theory is far beyond your years. And I'm a bit embarrassed, as I can't say with confidence that I'd have considered the ward at all, though I've had over a decade to consider such things."

Harry, Luna, and Hermione were positively beaming.

"Second. Luna, I think you're a spectacular witch. Your mother was a personal friend, and on at least two occasions her sight led to the capture of notable death eaters at the business end of my wand. I can think of no reason to doubt your vision, though I don't claim to understand how it all works."

If it were possible for Luna to shine brighter, she did.

"Third. Harry, I must confess I find the specter of this attack terrifying. And though I know enough about the Sight to feel confident you'll survive it all, I don't think there's enough in the vision to know whether you'll make it through that Wizengamot session unscathed. I think, if you'll agree, that it's time to inform Dumbledore."