Revelations

"SURPRISE!"

As soon as Luna Lovegood tugged a bewildered Harry Potter across the threshold of No. 4 ½ Privet Drive, the house erupted in an explosion of joyful cries, brilliantly colored confetti, and what must have been a thousand balloons, enchanted to dance about the ceiling in waves of gold and crimson.

Stunned, Harry shot wide eyes at Luna, who was smirking mischievously.

Sirius rushed forward, pulling Harry into a tight embrace. "Happy Birthday, Harry!" Wrapping his arm around his shoulder, he turned to stand at Harry's side. "I hope you don't mind, but I invited a few friends."

A thick flurry of confetti began to clear. Behind it stood Ron, Hermione, Ginny, the Twins, Mr. & Mrs. Weasley, Tonks and Dumbledore. Harry's attention was captured, however, by a lean figure looming in the far corner of his living room. Remus Lupin wore a kind smile, exuding joy despite his vaguely worn disposition and generally threadbare appearance.

"Professor Lupin!" Harry rushed forward as Lupin closed the distance between them.

"Hello, Harry." He welcomed his former student with a warm embrace. He held Harry's shoulders and pressed him away, inspecting him with paternal pride. Suddenly his expression shifted, and he held Harry's gaze with a heavy expression. "I owe you a handful of apologies."

Harry stumbled over himself to interrupt, yet Remus shook his head with a grave expression. "No, Harry. Truly. My distance this summer has been inexcusable. And the timing of the attack, not to mention your arrest and trial, unfortunately coincided with a difficult lapse related to my... condition. I was unreachable — holed away in an abandoned cottage in Scotland. I apparated as soon as Sirius' letter reached me."

Harry smiled with a measured nod. "I understand, and I forgive you for the distance. It's been a, er, complicated summer for all of us. I'm just glad you're here, Professor."

At this the others rushed upon him, and Harry was overwhelmed by happy hugs, claps on the shoulder, and a savory fragrance wafting in from the dining table.

If the Hogwarts house elves' daily provisions were generous, the feast before them was exceptionally lavish to an embarrassing degree. Massive heaps of Yorkshire pudding, giant bowls of curries, stews, mashed potatoes, roasted chicken and summer vegetables, overstuffed platters of crusty breads, dosa, naan, sliced roast beef, and piping dishes of casseroles, precariously tottering upon the magically extended table.

Happy laughter and friendly conversation filled the house. After over an hour of embellished stories, shared memories, and playful teasing, the considerably thinner remnants of their feast were cleared. In its place a towering cake appeared — four tiers of rich chocolate ganache, magically decorated with verdant trees shifting against a strong wind, noble hippogriffs taking flight, galloping centaurs firing white chocolate arrows, and a family of miniature Acromantulas, swinging among sugar thread webbing.

As the enchanted cake sliced itself, they were each served a generous portion around which an enchanted character pranced, galloped, or skittered about through a windblown copse of gnarled trees. Noticing Ron's pale apprehension, Luna clandestinely switched her Centaur for his Acromantula. He flushed, nodding gratefully with a relieved smile.

Seated at the end of the table, Dumbledore stood.

"I do hope you'll excuse me, dear friends. I can hardly attend a feast without issuing some sort of announcement. Yet in this case, I suspect you'll welcome my excess."

Their attention was captured. With a swish he conjured a dozen tall glasses of sparkling champagne. "First, a toast." His kind eyes narrowed in affectionate gratitude. "To Harry. Where would we be without his courage, his strength, and above all, his indomitable love?"