Chapter 20: Serene

Around midday, the family arrives at their haveli and are immediately welcomed by their housekeepers. The family piles in, all smiles and laughs as they take in the sight of the decorations, ready for the wedding and the rituals.

Everyone is tired, and eager to get some rest before the chaos from tomorrow, but there are two bubbling girls eager to go out.
"Dad, please!"
"Daddy, please!"

Xavier and Raj sigh as they look at their respective daughters. "I can take them up if that's okay. By the way Sofia's looking at me, I'm in big trouble if I say no."

Riya gives her father a smile as bright as the sun that could melt even a sturdiest mountain.

"Okay."
"Yay! Thank you dad!" Riya jumps to give her father a huge hug before she skips towards the door with Sofia's hand in hers.

Xavier catches up to the two as they step out.
"Are you hungry, pretty girl? I know I am."

Xavier watches as Riya reaches into her bag, pulls out pink heart shaped sunglasses and places them on Riya's eyes. She then squats in front of her and pulls out a bottle of sunscreen.
"It's going to be hot out there, girlie. We need this."

The sight is dangerous for Xavier. He leans against the doorframe, his gaze fixed on Riya as she tenderly tucked a stray lock of hair behind Sofia's ear. The sun casts a warm glow on Riya's gentle smile as she gently fixes the strap of his daughter's dress.

His heart skips a beat as he watched her effortlessly bring a smile on Sofia's face, her every movement filled with grace and tenderness.

A wave of emotion sweeps over Xavier, his admiration for Riya blossoms into something deeper. He can't tear his eyes away from her, captivated by the way she takes care of Sofia, her laughter filling the space around them like music.

It isn't just her beauty that Rawls him in, but the kindness in her eyes and the warmth of her touch that resonates deep within his soul.

As Riya glances up and met his gaze, a faint blush tinted her cheeks, and Xavier felt a surge of warmth spread through him.

In that moment, amidst the quiet tranquility, he realises that his feelings for Riya goes beyond mere infatuation. She's captured his heart, weaving herself into the very fabric of his being with each smile, each tender gesture.

Unable to resist any longer, Xavier steps towards them, his heart pounding with anticipation.

As Riya turns towards him, her eyes sparkling with affection, he knows what she wants, but he also knows he might to be able to do that.
"Shall we?"

Riya smiles up at Xavier before nodding. Just as they're about to leave a voice catches their attention.

"Riya! I want to go too! Rohan never brings us here."
"Yes, bhabhi! We can walk to the bazar anyway."

Ten minutes into the walk. Xavier and Chhaya watch as Riya takes Sofia's into her arms, shows her the things around and tells her about all the things they did as children here.

"She's really good with kids," Chhaya's words take Xavier out of his trance, "I saw her putting sunscreen on her and the sunnies. It was really cute."

Xavier sighs, looking down at the palm of his hands, "But I forgot. That makes me look like a shit parent."

"You're not a shit parent, Xavier. You're a busy one. Who probably had a child when he wasn't ready for one. But it takes a child to make a man a father, but it takes a lot more for the same man to be a dad. There's a difference."
Xavier smiles at Chhaya. She seems so calm and collected.