Chapter 14: Bet

Her back pressed against the wall and her front pressed against Xavier, Riya's thoughts go fuzzy. She can't help but feel clouded by his presence. "You wait for me to finish talking before walking away. Don't make me discipline you."

She pins him with a look, squinting her eyes as she glares at him, "our conversation was done."
His hand finds the curve of her waist, putting pressure on it whilst pushing her further against the hard wall. "Our conversation is done when I say it's done."

Feeling helpless, all Riya can do is press herself into Xavier. "What do you want to talk about? I thought we made it clear that no one will do anything."
She tries not to melt into his warmth, but it proves difficult when every inch of him is pressed against her. All she can breathe is him. All she can see is him. All she can see is him. And all she can feel is him.
"Go then, it seems clear between the two of us. Any kind of relationship between us is strictly professional."

"I don't need a judgmental ass in my life either, so don't worry, I definitely won't be making any moves on you." Riya hisses in his ear, desperate to get out of his grip and free her intoxicated mind.
"We'll see." He smirks as he gazes down at her dilated pupils as she puts on the unaffected front. Riya can't help but want to slap the stupid smirk off his face.
"You're a man, so you can resist a woman who you find is a spoilt little brat."
"I definitely can." His eyes betray his words as they flicker to catch glimpse of her lips. Having her inches away from him makes it harder.

"We'll see."
She repeats his words back at him as she arches her back, making her front press against him further as if he body is betraying her. He felt like a magnet pulling her in.
"Is that a challenge?" He tries not to let the warmth of her body affect him, he can't afford it. He can't afford to lose control for even a spilt second, especially when this isn't something that'll last long. It'll fizzle away as soon as he goes back. This isn't going to be sustainable.

"Do you want it to be? To see who resists the longest?" His thoughts are interrupted by her soft whisper, snapping him out his daze. His eyes wonder down her slender neck, past her collarbone stopping just where the fabric of her dress wraps around her front.
"You think I can't resist you?" He raises his brows at her
"I never said that. But, I'm not the one dragging a woman out of an event, pushing her up against a wall, inches away from her lips."

Tension hangs in the air as Riya peers up at her bodyguard. Despite the animosity between them, Riya can't resist the opportunity to inject a touch of mischief into the confrontation. Leaning in with a sly grin, she goes up on her tippy toes to whisper into Xavier's ear, her tone dripping with playfulness, "You know, Xavier, for someone who claims to not be the least bit interested, you have a surprisingly infatuated gaze."

Xavier, caught off guard by the unexpected flirtation, raises an eyebrow in disbelief. Ignoring the look on his face, Riya continues, "Maybe it's the thrill of competition, but there's a certain entertainment in our little battles. Don't you think?"

Xavier, torn between annoyance and intrigue, can't help but respond, "This doesn't change anything between us."

With a teasing smile, Riya pulls away, leaving a lingering sense of uncertainty in the air. "Oh, Xavier, it doesn't have to. But admit it, there's a fine line between hatred and something a bit more... intriguing." As she walks away, the air holds the echoes of a flirtatious challenge, adding a layer of complexity to their confusing relationship.
It can't happen. It never will. With those thoughts, he walks back into the hall behind her.

I won't budge first. Never. With those thoughts, she smiles at the other guests as she makes her way to her table.
As she followed her, his eyes catch onto the small scratches on her back from being pressed against the wall. A small part of his heart leaves his chest and rushes towards the wounds wanting to soothe them.

Taking a seat next to her, he leans over to whisper in her ear, "well if you really want to test the boundaries, then let's make it official with a bet."
"A bet?"

Xavier smirks down at her, "yeah, if you make a move first, then I win. And vice versa."
He reaches his hand over to her neck, gently massaging her collarbone with his thumb.
"And when I win, you have to do whatever it is I tell you."

She can't help but gulp at the certainty in his words, as if he knows that he won't lose. "We'll see."
Before she can let his words affect her, she pushes her chair back before standing up. "I'll be back soon."

Xavier watches her walk over to people she clearly knew, he can't shake the knot forming in his stomach as he observes Riya laughing with other men at the party. Her playful banter and flirtatious gestures made his jealousy rise like a tide. Attempting to conceal his feelings, he clenches his fists, struggling to maintain a composed facade. Yet, the tension in his gaze betrayed the storm brewing within.

But he can't tame the growing feeling for long, he hates the way these men are peeking down her frame. Standing up, he walks over to her, pressing his front to her back.
"We need to leave."
He smiles at the guests before placing a hand on her back and guided her out.

"Why are we leaving?"
He can't help but feel irritated at himself for what he's doing. He has no idea why they're leaving.
"Security breach. Your stalker might be here."

A gasp leaves her lips as she shuffles closer to her source of security. A sense of relief surges through him as he wraps his arm around her. "You're safe though."
He may enjoy her being close to him right now, but his heart knows there isn't a stalker there right now. And it hurts him to think he had to lie to her, just to get her away. Just to get to himself.