Chapter 6: Burning Hate

"I never said that. All I said was this isn't going to work out."
Riya watches him cross his arms as he says that.
"I'm aware. Thank you."
The door slams shut on his face after those words causing him to flinch.

The action irritates him, "immature little girl."
He turns to walk away when a voice from in the room echoes, "I heard that!"
"Good."

Xavier rolls his eyes at the girl and walks away. He knows Riya isn't the girl for him, in fact marriage or relationships weren't for him and they never will be.

He would go back to America; she has a life here. She has the world beneath her feet and his world revolves around his daughter in the small apartment in Chicago. They are worlds apart and it can never be something that is practical in the real world. That's what he keeps telling himself as he slips back in bed.

This is what he wants, for her to not have any hard feelings, to move on from this situation and to just know she has no hopes. And her response shows that she isn't affected, yet why does he keep feeling the need to tell him this should make him happy?

Why is there a little itch in a deep corner of his subconscious that feels unsettled by her sheer ignorance? His words eat him up as the dark night sky slowly fills with hues of soft orange and pink as the sun rises from the horizon. A restless Xavier gets out of bed after getting no sleep. He finds it pointless to keep rolling around in bed.

Taking a shower helps the tiredness vanish a little, yet it doesn't ease the rising tension in his muscles the more he thinks about talking to Riya just a few hours ago. The conversation keeps playing in his mind and so does the sight of her. Her thin, silky slip, her messy hair and the movement of her pink lips when she spoke.

No matter how hard he tries, he can't get the sight of her out of his mind. "It's just a little attraction."

No matter how many he told himself these words, it didn't help how the thoughts running through his mind awakens every inch is him.

With his daughter in his arms, he heads downstairs for breakfast. Sofia and Xavier are going shopping today since. Sofia wants to find presents for all her friends. He greets everyone as he takes a seat. Sofia in his lap in her pastel purple dress. The house help brings out Sofia's breakfast and Xavier serves himself alloo parantha Meera had made. It didn't take long for it to become his favourite.

The family laugh and enjoy their breakfast as Riya walks in. Her brown trench coat covering her fitted beige dress. Xavier observes her as she works her way around the table, dropping a kiss on everyone's cheek before taking Chhaya's son from her lap and taking a seat opposite Xavier with the baby in her lap.

"Good morning, little princess." Riya comes at Sofia.
Sofia covers her face and giggle as Riya calls her a 'little princess.'
"Good morning."
Xavier can't help but return the smile he receives from Riya as she finally acknowledges him.

Xavier observes Riya as she manages to engage the whole family in one conversation as they laugh at her antics. He can't help but admire that quality of hers. A smiles makes its way onto his face too before he chuckles and shakes his head.

"Papa's smiling! Look!"
Sofia's words make the table erupt into another fit of laughter as Rita's eyes meet Xavier's

A comfortable silence falls at the table, from the outside it seems calm. But there is a person at the table, who's mind is trying to control a hurricane of thoughts and emotions from last night. Riya fights the clashing g emotions and her thoughts churn relentlessly, leaving her caught in her head.

She has a n enormous crush on the man sitting opposite her. His presence sparks a whirlwind of emotions, simply making eye contact with him release a cascade of butterflies in her tummy.  But she does want that, especially after knowing he doesn't want her. She will do anything to get over a mere crush over a man.