Chapter 8: Fear

Xavier runs towards the room as another chilling scream pierces through the air, sending shivers down his spine. Without a second thought, he swings the door open and bursts into the room. The first thing his eyes see is Riya. She stands in the middle of the room, hands covering her face. Her trembling figure as she shakes with fear.

His eyes take in the scene in front of him. The tulips scattered all over the floor, the envelope and the letter on the floor and right next to it is a small black box. He leaves the confusion aside as he steps in.

"Riya?"

A sob escapes her lips as she takes slow steps back. His heart sinks as the sound reaches his ears. Helplessness grips him, wishing he can do something to get the tears to vanish. He takes a step inside, but before he can get any closer, Shourya rushes past him stepping over the flowers to reach his sister. Before Xavier can register, the family piles in.

Seeing Raj and Suman concerned, hurts his heart. Having concerned parents is not something he knows.

"What happened?"

The quiet voice of Meehan cates his attention and Neel, Riya's chachu, decides to take the kids away from the room.

Xavier's eyes zone in on Shourya holding his sister as she sobs into his arms.

"What happened, baccha?"

The rest of the family look around the room. Raj and Suman walk closer to their daughter wanting to make sure she's okay, whilst Meera, Chhaya and Rohan linger closer to the door.

And right in that moment, all Xavier wants to do is be her anchor, offering her comfort. But all he can do is stand in his spot and let the people she finds comfort help her calm down.

Rohan steps forward, grabs some of the flowers, finding nothing suspicious, he moves onto the envelope and letter.

As he reaches for them, he questions about the flowers.

"Someone delivered them about thirty minutes ago by a delivery boy. They said it's for Riya, so I came up to drop them off."

Xavier walks forward as he picks up the flowers to move them out of the way.

"Okay, the camera must have gotten the guy then."

Rohan's mind already thinking about finding the delivery guy.

Rohan turns the letter over and reads it out loud.

"You looked so beautiful today. I can't wait to be as close to you as your date from today."

The words earn a gasp from Meera and Chhaya and another terrified Sob from Riya. Suman rushes to fill the glass with some water.

Subconsciously, Shourya hugs her closer and steps away from the mess on the floor. His protective instincts kicking in as he watches Rohan place the letter and envelope on the bed gently.

Rohan then reaches for the box that is laying upside down. He picks it up, revealing a dead, tiny mouse under it. Meera lets out a scared squeal, taking a step back. The family gape at it in utter shock as Riya continues to shake in fear.

"There- There is another note.."

Rohan looks around after hearing the strained voice of Riya. Finding the note, he read it aloud.

"Go on another date like today and the next box won't have something so small in it."

Xavier's blood boils hearing those words as he takes it from Rohan's hands, reading the words again.

Suman takes her daughter in her arms, turning her around so her back is facing the dead rat as Shourya walks over to Rohan and Xavier.

"Who would do such a thing though?"

Shourya looks at the sight in front of him, trying to understand who would play such a cruel, nasty joke on his little sister.

Xavier can't help but steal glances at Riya's back, and the fact she's still sobbing does something to his heart. She always puts up a strong exterior, but it's clear she's terrified.

"Shourya, maybe we should talk about this without.."

Xavier mumbles his words as he nods his head toward Riya.

The men sigh and Rohan looks over to his wife who gives him a subtle nod.

"Are we really getting scared over a rat?"

Chhaya walks over to Riya and grabs her hand, "and please, my Riya isn't going to let some little weirdo get to her. Chalo chalo, bagar chalo."

Throwing a wink at Meera, Chhaya walks Riya towards the door. Meera gulps and puts on a strong front, hiding her fear.

"Haan, chalo chalo. Aur suniye," Meera looks over at her husband, "yeh sab saaf kr ke aana, please."

Her words earn her a giggle from Riya as the women walk out of the room. They take Riya downstairs as far away from the situation in her room. They try to distract her from the chaos upstairs, and it doesn't take long before Rohan comes down with the flowers and the box in his hand. He walks right past them, passes the contents in his hand to one of housekeepers, instructing them to throw it away.

And soon after the rest of the men pile into the living room, taking a seat. "I'll go check on Sofia."

With those words, Xavier gives the family some privacy. As he passes the sofa where Riya is sitting, his hands itch to reach for her. She's like a magnet and he can't explain why. Fisting his hands to stop himself from touching her.

Riya feels his presence as he passes, the hair on the back of her neck rising as a way of acknowledging his presence. She's so engrossed in her body's reaction that she misses her father's words.

"Beta?"

Her eyes snap up to her father, "yeah?"

Raj sighs, "we were thinking to not tell anyone, especially not the police. You know how word spreads, and I don't want this to become public."

Riya nods at her father's words, "Aarav and Muskaan are coming over tomorrow p, I'll let them know about this too."

The heavy words sit with the family, surrounded by silence. The sombre, dark emotion filling the tense air. Shourya clears his throat before turning to face his sister.

"This guy, or whoever he is, he seems to know where you are and when."

She watches the distress covering his face.

"We can't risk having you hurt. So, you're going to have a bodyguard with you."

Riya sighs wanting to protest but after tonight and all the past flowers, blank calls and Instagram comments, it's better to have protection.

"Your books have taken off; people are crazy for you and just to be safe you should have protection anyway. And that's what we tell media when questioned."

Riya sighs and lays her head on her mother's shoulder. "Mhmm."

Rohan throws an arm around his wife, pulling her close.

"We want someone we can trust to be with you. And we're not risking going through an agency or company."

Riya's brows furrow, her lips set in a straight line. "Then?"

"Xavier."

Shourya's words almost make her choke on nothing.

"He's been in the army, works as a bodyguard and is the only man outside our family I'm willing to trust with you at the moment."

Shourya's words echo through the house, his tone laced with determination.

"From tomorrow, he'll be with you everywhere. At all times."

"But bhai-" A whine leaves Riya's lips as she tries to protest, however Shourya isn't wanting any objections.

"I hope that's clear. To everyone. I'm not making any compromises."

And with that he gets up, takes a hold of his wife's hand and walks out, wishing everyone goodnight. He drops a kiss on his sister's head on his way out, leaving her mind filled with thoughts.