Heartbreak

'Half sibling?... Half witch?'

I know Alex was planned... I also know my mum was indeed pregnant from the photos. But half-siblings?

Did my mother have an affair?

I don't remember a time when I saw them fight or fall out of love. They always kept their arguments hidden away from their children.

Why did she tell us now? Would she have kept it hidden if Alex did have Enmagica?

I wandered into the thick trees. I needed to talk to someone but left my phone at home. My first thought was Leo.

"If you need anything. Call me. Even if it's in fifteen minutes or fifteen years."

He still knew me better than Seri and loved my brother. He should know, too.

Ignoring the bitterly cold wind, I set off for the old oak, but my steps faltered. I shouldn't go to him. I wouldn't be able to leave again. I thought of another way to reach him and heard the running water of the nearby stream.

'Use the reflection of the water,' I thought; it would be tricky but possible.

A short stroll allowed me to think of what to say to him...

I stared at the water reflection, took a deep breath, and closed my eyes.

I had to concentrate; waving a hand over the surface, a ripple made its way to a circular smoke-filled reflection.

Leo.

The grey smoke swirled into a whirlpool, opening up and getting wider. It first appeared black before fading into colour. It was Morgan's spare bedroom, the one we shared, and his back was turned to the mirror. I couldn't help the smile growing; I longed to see his face. It was a rough night.

"Leo!" I spoke, looking down into the water.

He didn't turn or look around. Confused, I tried again..., but he couldn't hear me. Was I doing something wrong?

"Le-" his name died on my lips as hands made their way around his shoulders.

My slight smile faded.

I recognised the manicured fingernails that gripped the back of his shirt. I could not see her face or body due to his tall stature.

Maddie.

My chest hurt. The red string pulled taught. I knew they were kissing; it didn't take a genius to see that.

Tears threatened to accumulate, and I tried to swallow the tough lump in my throat as I watched on. I was hoping, willing, for him to push her away like last time.

Words caught in my throat when I tried to get his attention again.

Instead, legs wrapped around his waist as he picked her up. Each beat of my heart felt like a knife twisting into my flesh.

I fled back away from the scene.

'Let him go, Lexi. You are not together, remember?'

But that doesn't mean it didn't hurt.

My whole body shook as I tried to fight the tears. They stung like shards of glass. It was like an invisible hand squeezing my heart, wrenching it out until it was left with a sick, hollow ache. The pain was too unbearable.

The whirlpool closed on the pair, falling onto the bed.

The hollow ache grew. It wasn't fair.