Book of Shadows

"Restorignum," I whispered.

The vase easily reversed from its humpty dumpty moment, and the flowers were placed beautifully in full bloom.

"Sorry," Alex said sheepishly once again.

I smiled and returned to the workroom. I was beginning to think Alex was breaking things on purpose. That's fourteen things within the month. I shook my head and returned to the Book of Shadows.

Still nothing from Jack or the dam Victoria. We were also stunned by Tiffany's condition and thought it best to let them keep to their healers.

Leo and I had no new leads in our past lives: only Anna, Edward, William, and Rose on repeat with a murder of crows. I could tell Leo was getting frustrated, as was I.

I also finally managed to pry apart the stuck pages of Grandma's book.

________

21st June 1953

Jerrold is leaving. He is going back to America to university. Why he isn't going to one in the UK is beyond me.

But he assured me he would return, and we will wed.

I will slowly plan our day with our families and promise to write to him.

How will I cope?

He departs tomorrow; I will not see him until the Yule holidays.

Goddess help me!

He has given me a beautiful necklace. I shall wear it at our wedding. I am in love with it already.

- Selena

__________

A bitter-sweet smile appeared; I could see some ink smudges, like water had mixed with the words. She was crying when writing this.

I flipped through the pages, reading her longing and heartache until I reached her wedding date. I smiled. Her writing is as joyous as it should be. Filled with pressed flowers from her bouquet, they were well preserved.

_____

14th November 1956

Goddess has blessed us!

A fine little boy.

We are excited – Off to celebrate!

- Selena

____

I smiled as images of my dad came to the surface of my memories. I could feel the residual energy from her fast pen strokes; she was ecstatic.

Flipping through more pages, I gasped at the first sentence. The entries so quickly changed from the joy of pregnancy to this. Was it hormones? I had to read on.

______

15th March 1957

That bastard.

Going on business, he told me.

Bullshit.

His Amelia is pregnant, three months gone, begging him to return.

A mistress he kept hidden in the States.

I am nearly nine months gone, and this stress is the last thing I need. How did I find out?

She sent him a letter. One, he did not burn well enough. No wonder he was sweating like a pig when I greeted him.

I have kicked him out and told him to return to the States. Never return.