Birthday

13th October

My 18th birthday.

Everything has changed in the past year...

________

I reflected on last year. Meeting Leo, breaking the Lock, finding more mysteries, and battling vampires.

The year sounded like something straight from a book.

I sighed and continued to write down my yearly reflection. Sooty was loafed at the side of me—the pendant glowing from the lamp's light.

Something compelled me to watch it.

Whilst pretty, this little piece of jewellery caused a lot of trouble and heartache.

'What if someone goes after Sooty?'

The pesky voice was still apparent, but it did have a point. We could not be too careful.

I held it in my fist, ignoring the tears forming and spilling, and my magic rose to place the concealment. I muttered a password...

_________________

I did not see Tiffany all day. I wanted to ask how she was feeling for tonight. Wandering to the practice field, my stealth wasn't as good as I realised.

"Surprise!"

"Ah! Damn it. Quinn!"

I laughed as she tackled me from behind, making me stumble. She was giggling happily. I was avoiding the coven.

"Happy Birthday!" she gleefully sang and kissed my cheek.

"Thank you."

"I will see you tonight!"

"Wait Quinn! I told you I have plans..."

Lathen appeared on our left. Rolling up a sleeve, he announced, "Time for birthday beats!"

And that's why I ran...

______________

By the end of lunch, my arm throbbed, and I was forced to wear a cliché 'birthday girl!' pin. Leo soothed the bruising arm.

"Soona... Have you told them yet?"

"...Yes?"

"Lexi..." Leo warned.

"I have! I told Seri, and you saw the text in the group chat."

"You really can't say 'no', can you?"

I shook my head meekly, "Not my fault Quinn isn't listening... I don't get why we can't wait for the weekend!"

Leo sighed, "I'll talk to Deven..."

________________

Sure enough, Deven managed to rein Quinn in.

Quinn: [Why didn't you tell me you had plans?? Enjoy the alone time 😉]

Lexi: [I TRIED. See you at the weekend. 😊]

"Hm. Couple card. Good shout," I praised Leo.

Putting the phone down on the messy table.

He smirked, "Well, it's not entirely wrong."

We worked together, making the preparations to awaken a wolf. Packing everything into a small bag. I hoped the ritual would work. It was not as dangerous as making a vampire, but it was still nerve-wracking to think about having a whole pack watching you with one of their own.

Tipping the crushed powder into an empty jar. Everything was complete.

"Have you got the Athame?" Leo reminded.