Shift

I inspected Grandma Langton's Book of Shadows. Carefully flipping through and between pages, casting the Irish reveal spells she once taught me.

I read in wonder and awe. More entries were about the mysterious Jerrold and their relationship.

__________

14th February

Valentine's Day. I never had a serious Valentine, but Jerrold insisted to 'woo' me. The flowers were beautiful, and the night was lovely. He was a gentleman.

I dare say he did indeed 'woo' me, but I'd never tell him that. While I was still a little frightened by the feeling of hellfire whenever we kissed, I was filled with a gentle heat tonight.

Who knows?

I should give him a chance. Let's see how this plays out.

-Selena

__________

I smiled at the efforts of Jerrold, the way Grandma Langton was describing him; he was smitten. Perhaps he died before my father was born...? They say surprises are left behind often.

I peeled the stuck pages apart, magic tingling on my fingertips, coaxing it open. It was almost like she glued the pages together to hide her secrets.

Alex wandered in; he was a little rushed, "Lexi!"

"Hm?" I looked up, still trying to peel the pages apart.

His skin was flushed, and he looked flustered; I stopped altogether, abandoning the task and putting my full attention on him.

"What's wrong?" I ask, eyebrows furrowed.

"You have a visitor... 'Jack' and some other people? I think they are wolves..." he tested.

My eyebrows shot up. Mum was away on business again. A burly man like Jack probably frightened Alex.

"It's all right, I know him. Can you call Leo?"

I would feel better if he was here while Mum was away. Alex nodded and stayed in the room while I greeted the guests.

Sure enough, the tall wolf took over the whole front door frame. I did not think he would be able to fit.

"Please, come in," I gestured to the living room.

Behind Jack, Tiffany emerged with her big brother, Corey, looking confused. I could not hide my surprise at her presence.

"Hi," she said before quickly adding.

"Hi," I greeted, still unsure why they were there.

I took a peek outside; Mrs Crowley looked towards our front door. I quickly put a smile on my face and waved as I shut the door. Damn.

______

"Please, sit."

I gestured to the extended sofa, which groaned under Jack's weight. I tried not to laugh.

"So," I started, "What's brought you here?"

The door opened again, and Leo let himself in with Freya behind him. I smiled as he came into the living room, and I spoke to Freya.

"Alex is upstairs," I hinted; she nodded and went up.

Leo came around the back of my seat and leaned on the back.

Tiffany's brother eyed Leo but said nothing.

"We are here for a couple of things," Jack began, "but let's start with Tiffany."