Enmagica

"Where is Leo?" Alex asked, looking around behind me, looking for him.

"... He stayed in Scotland," I replied quietly.

"Oh, when will he be back?" Mum asked with furrowed eyebrows in confusion.

"I don't know if he will come back." I watched the realisation come to her face.

"What happened?" She prodded gently, holding my shoulders.

"We-we couldn't do it... We couldn't break the cycle, and well..." I looked down at the ground once more.

"Oh, sweetheart," she pulled me into another hug, "I am so sorry."

She coaxed me to the sofa, and I felt her hand patting my head gently; only then did I let the tears fall freely.

______________

My sadness soothed again; Uncle Keiron set the tea on the coffee table. Frustration and unease were on his face.

"What were you thinking? Wandering around Inverness..." He shook his head.

"I didn't know a Hunt was called," I protested, "We didn't know until we visited a metaphysical shop."

"Did they find you? Is that why you came back?" he accused.

"No. We left Inverness this morning. We didn't run into them. I came back because... It would be awkward living with an Ex and his mother," I mumbled.

"Hold on... His mother?" Keiron asked, bewildered.

'Shit.'

"Um..."

"Lexandria," Mum warned.

With a heavy sigh, I shared everything- from our secret letters to our first meeting with Morgan.

"You trust people too easily," Keiron stated bitterly, crossing his arms.

'You're telling me,' I thought with a slight eye roll.

"And... the cycle? The lifetimes?" Mum asked, rubbing my shoulder.

"I don't want to go into it... But she did help us. We couldn't figure out what needed to be 'fixed'." I used my hands to quote.

Confused, I heard a sniffle from her; I looked to Keiron for help.

With soft eyes, he explained, "No mother wants to outlive her child..."

I realised what he meant: Will you die young?

"So long as we are not together, I will live a long life..."

"You sound sure," he questioned.

"Trust me. I will be fine."

Mum pulled me close, "You are not out of the woods yet, my dear." She turned to her brother, "The council is still after her."

He nodded, "If they find out we are hiding her here, it will only cause more trouble."

"... It is late. One night will be fine!" she persuaded.

____________

I kept my phone off while I slept, but the whole coven would know I was back home within a day, thanks to my mother.

A light, furry touch woke me during the night. Sooty sat beside me, trying to get under the covers for warmth. Lifting the quilt, I enjoyed the company.

It was a while since I slept alone.

I briefly wondered how Leo was fairing.

'Is he with Maddie?' I shook my head as soon as the thought appeared.